iPhone 6 Release And Rumors Roundup: Slimmer Body, Bigger Screen And Sapphire Display A Real Possibility
By Karla Danica Figuerres | February 18, 2014 4:01 PM EST
A woman looks at the screen of her mobile phone in front of an Apple logo outside its store in downtown Shanghai September 10, 2013.
iPhone 6 Display And Screen
iPhone 6 will sport a larger display than any other iPhone before it, according to rumors. As seen with the Sony Xperia Z, Samsung Galaxy S4 and HTC One, there is big market for the large-screen smartphones called phablets. It seems Apple is ready to join the club and compete with the screen size. Early reports suggested a 4.8-inches screen will be seen but recent reports said iPhone 6 will come with 5-inches screen. But then again, the most recent report from Foxconn via BGR claimed iPhone 6 will come in two sizes: 4.7-inch and 5.7-inch.
According to ETNews, iPhone 6 will be the slimmest iPhone on its release date. It will be around 6 mm thick, which is 1.6 mm thinner than iPhone 5 and half the thickness of iPhone 3GS.
iPhone 6 Sapphire Display
Apple appears to be working on developing iPhone 6 as a tougher smartphone. A recent deal indicated a super-tough sapphire screen for iPhone 6 is possibly coming. The deal was made with GT Advanced technologies to create sapphire glass for iPhone 6.
According to reports, Apple has struck a deal with GT Advanced technologies to produce sapphire glass in a plant in Arizona.
GT Advanced Technologies announced in a regulatory filing, "The sapphire glass that GT will make in the facility will be used to cover the camera lenses in Apple's phones and the fingerprint-reading devices in its latest products. GT's technology also can be used to make scratchproof glass covers for smartphones, although it is not used for that purpose by Apple today."
The deal should provide Apple with the materials it requires to deliver the sapphire display on iPhone 6 during release date.
iPhone 6 Release Date
Although nobody can accurately confirm the exact date when iPhone 6 is coming out, some are guessing the release date of next-generation iPhone.
Taking the usual pattern that Apple typically do with its iPhones into consideration, we expect to see iPhone 6 a year after the release of iPhone 5s, which is in September.
According to Digitimes, Apple is prepping for a May launch date for iPhone 6 and it will use a "20nm processor manufactured by Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC)."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build