‘MasterChef New Zealand’ Couple Sam And Collette Eliminated After Cheesecake Disaster
By Anne Lu | February 18, 2014 3:25 PM EST
“MasterChef New Zealand” ended engaged couple Sam Dolbel and Collette Lochore’s run on the show. They became the fourth pair to be eliminated after their dessert disaster on Monday.
Fresh from the oyster challenge of the night before, the contestants were asked to cook an entree for 185 guests at Russell’s iconic Duke of Marlborough Hotel. They could choose to make a main or dessert, with Sam and Collette choosing to recreate the hotel’s lemon and passion mascarpone cheesecake.
The pair started with confidence, saying that cheesecakes were their forte. But just after a while, Collette, a former beauty queen, struggled with her lemon curd.
They also had a difficult time delivering when the calls for the cheesecakes started coming out, with Sam suddenly declaring, “At this point I just don’t care. They can wait. I wait at restaurants.”
Apart from the MasterChef judges, the best and worst dishes of the challenge were judged by the Top Six teams from the oyster challenge. And unfortunately for Sam and Collette, none of the judges and their fellow contestants liked their cheesecakes.
“The filling is eye-watering acidic, like ‘take the roof of the top of your mouth’ lemon,” judge Ray McVinnie observed of the couple’s cheesecake.
He added, “The flavours were all out of balance. Your dessert was so acidic that it was unpleasant to eat the whole plate.”
In the end, the judges concluded that a commercial kitchen was definitely not for Sam and Collette, declaring them to be the fourth couple to leave the show.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- NCIS Season 12 Spoilers: Fans Fear Cote de Pablo Not Coming Back, Tony DiNozzo Moving On from Ziva David
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Report: Duchess Expecting a Baby Girl, Prince William Wants 3 Kids [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown