Aussie ‘Upspeak’ May Ruin Career; Brits Say no to ‘Upspeak’
By Athena Yenko | February 18, 2014 3:01 PM EST
He said that he accompanies his daughter to an orientation as a teacher trainee at the university, and the training coordinator had particularly cautioned interviewees against using the Aussie 'upspeak'.
"Towards the end of the afternoon, the co-ordinator said she wanted to offer a few tips about the interview process that would begin once all the applications have been submitted. It turned out she had only one main tip - which was to avoid upspeak. She stressed the point vigorously, Mr Palmer wrote.
Aussie 'upspeak' had been characterised by a rising intonation at end of each sentence; high-rising terminal or Australian question intonation. It can also be called uptalk. Although the origin of the infamous intonation was unknown, there had been researches suggesting that 'upspeak' originated from New Zealand or the west coast of America.
But for the Brits, 'upspeak' became rampant since the show Neighbours arrived on local televisions in the mid 1980s..
Popular Australian soaps such as The Sullivans and The Young Doctors which were imported to Britain from the 1970s started the influence of 'upspeaking.'
Home and Away in 1973 left a strong influence as the show opens the true Australian culture.
The 'upspeak' became so rampant that Stephen Fry said that he "barely knows anyone under 20 who doesn't use it."
Meanwhile, a survey of 700 company bosses by publisher Pearson showed that speaking 'upspeak' rub employees off their chance of getting promoted or having increase in salary. Seventy-one per cent of the bosses said it was a "particularly annoying trait". The 85 per cent added that it is a "clear indicator of a person's insecurity or emotional weakness".
Forty-four per cent admitted turning interviewees down when 'upspeak' is used during interview.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS