Aussie ‘Upspeak’ May Ruin Career; Brits Say no to ‘Upspeak’
By Athena Yenko | February 18, 2014 3:01 PM EST
He said that he accompanies his daughter to an orientation as a teacher trainee at the university, and the training coordinator had particularly cautioned interviewees against using the Aussie 'upspeak'.
"Towards the end of the afternoon, the co-ordinator said she wanted to offer a few tips about the interview process that would begin once all the applications have been submitted. It turned out she had only one main tip - which was to avoid upspeak. She stressed the point vigorously, Mr Palmer wrote.
Aussie 'upspeak' had been characterised by a rising intonation at end of each sentence; high-rising terminal or Australian question intonation. It can also be called uptalk. Although the origin of the infamous intonation was unknown, there had been researches suggesting that 'upspeak' originated from New Zealand or the west coast of America.
But for the Brits, 'upspeak' became rampant since the show Neighbours arrived on local televisions in the mid 1980s..
Popular Australian soaps such as The Sullivans and The Young Doctors which were imported to Britain from the 1970s started the influence of 'upspeaking.'
Home and Away in 1973 left a strong influence as the show opens the true Australian culture.
The 'upspeak' became so rampant that Stephen Fry said that he "barely knows anyone under 20 who doesn't use it."
Meanwhile, a survey of 700 company bosses by publisher Pearson showed that speaking 'upspeak' rub employees off their chance of getting promoted or having increase in salary. Seventy-one per cent of the bosses said it was a "particularly annoying trait". The 85 per cent added that it is a "clear indicator of a person's insecurity or emotional weakness".
Forty-four per cent admitted turning interviewees down when 'upspeak' is used during interview.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- Asylum Seeker Women in Australia-Run Christmas Island Attempt Suicide in Desperation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown