India Aims for $6.27 Billion in Telecoms Sector Fees in 2014/15
February 18, 2014 2:50 PM EST
India aims to raise 389.54 billion rupees in revenue from the telecoms sector, including proceeds from airwave auctions, during the next fiscal year beginning April 1, the government said in its interim budget on Monday.
A communications tower in New Delhi.
The government has plans to sell airwaves in three bands during the next fiscal year, it said in the budget, an interim exercise ahead of the election due by May.
That would follow a $10 billion airwave auction this month, from which the government will get at least $3 billion in this fiscal year ending March 31, far higher than its $1.8 billion target.
The 2014/15 revenue target of the government also includes the recurring annual fees paid by telecommunication carriers and a one-time fee levied on airwaves that is still under dispute.
The government will be able to meet its 408.47 billion-rupee telecoms revenue target for this fiscal year, thanks to higher-than-expected bids in the airwave auction offsetting the revenue loss from the disputed one-time fee that was not collected.
Separately, the government announced a new tax structure for mobile phones that would effectively cut sharply the factory-gate duty on mobile phones that are manufactured locally. Most of the more than 200 million phones sold annually in India are imported from overseas.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Muslim Leaders Refuse to Approve Tony Abbott’s Terrorism Law
- Australian Tax Office Bitcoin Guidelines a 'Disappointment'; Virtual Currency Not Treated As Money
- American Doctor Dr Kent Brantly Survives Deadly Ebola, Released from Hospital, Sent Home
- Medicinal or Otherwise, Canadian Doctors Oppose Marijuana Smoking
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members