India Aims for $6.27 Billion in Telecoms Sector Fees in 2014/15
February 18, 2014 2:50 PM EST
India aims to raise 389.54 billion rupees in revenue from the telecoms sector, including proceeds from airwave auctions, during the next fiscal year beginning April 1, the government said in its interim budget on Monday.
A communications tower in New Delhi.
The government has plans to sell airwaves in three bands during the next fiscal year, it said in the budget, an interim exercise ahead of the election due by May.
That would follow a $10 billion airwave auction this month, from which the government will get at least $3 billion in this fiscal year ending March 31, far higher than its $1.8 billion target.
The 2014/15 revenue target of the government also includes the recurring annual fees paid by telecommunication carriers and a one-time fee levied on airwaves that is still under dispute.
The government will be able to meet its 408.47 billion-rupee telecoms revenue target for this fiscal year, thanks to higher-than-expected bids in the airwave auction offsetting the revenue loss from the disputed one-time fee that was not collected.
Separately, the government announced a new tax structure for mobile phones that would effectively cut sharply the factory-gate duty on mobile phones that are manufactured locally. Most of the more than 200 million phones sold annually in India are imported from overseas.
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Vatican 2014 Final Synod Report: Gays Still ‘Unwelcome’ in Catholic Church, LGBT Thankful for First Step
- New Zealand Losing $9.4 Billion Every Year to Fraud
- 5 Cities With The Highest Cost Of Living In 2014
- Ebola ‘Cruise Ship’: Holidaymakers Furious Organisers Hid the Truth About Dallas Health Care Worker
- Canada Conducts Practice Drill Of Ebola Rapid Response Teams, To Send Experimental VSV-BOV Vaccine To WHO
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage