Gold Hovers Near 3-1/2 Month High as Safe-haven Bids Support
February 18, 2014 2:46 PM EST
Gold drifted slightly lower on Tuesday after scaling fresh 3-1/2 month highs early in the session, as safe-haven bids continued to support the metal amid a weaker U.S. dollar and concerns over economic growth.
Gold prices to swing next week ahead of US Federal Reserve QE taper decision (Reuters).
Silver rose for a fourth session and was trading near its highest since early November.
Spot gold was nearly unchanged at $1,327.90 by 0024 GMT, after hitting $1,332.10 earlier in the session - its highest since November.
Silver rose nearly 1 percent and wasn't too far from a 3-1/2 month high of $21.96 hit on Monday.
Indonesia's PT Indosmelt plans an initial public offering by the end of 2015 to raise about $500 million to build a gold refinery, its president director said.
India will look into relaxing gold imports curbs, but won't let its current account deficit balloon, Finance Minister P. Chidambaram said.
Twenty two artisinal gold miners who came out of a disused and temporarily blocked shaft near Johannesburg over the last two days have been arrested and will be charged with illegal mining, South African police said on Monday.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- ANZ Seeks Role in Pilot Global Gold Trading Platform in Shanghai
- US California Couple Sells 1,400 Rare Gold Coins Found in Backyard, Now Millionaires
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales