ONGC Signs Contracts to Explore for Oil, Gas off Bangladesh
February 18, 2014 2:37 PM EST
State-run oil and gas company ONGC Videsh signed two production sharing contracts (PSC) on Monday to explore oil and gas in Bangladeshi waters.
A technician opens a pressure gas valve inside the ONGC group gathering station on the outskirts of the western Indian city of Ahmedabad. (Reuters)
State-run Bangladesh Oil, Gas and Mineral Corporation, known as Petrobangla, awarded shallow water blocks SS-04 and SS-09 in the Bay of Bengal to the company.
Finance Minister Abul Maal Abdul Muhith told reporters at the signing ceremony that Bangladesh needed to be more prudent in its use of natural gas because of falling production and rising consumption.
Bangladesh currently faces a daily shortfall in gas supplies of 500 million cubic feet (mmcf) on demand of 2,700 mmcf per day, he said, and demand is rising 8 to 10 percent each year.
Under the PSC, ONGC Videsh will spend $103.2 million during the initial exploration of the two blocks, according to a document distributed to reporters during the signing event.
It will also conduct an in-depth seismological survey of the blocks during a five-year initial exploration period which will be followed by a three-year exploration period.
The contractors will be allowed to operate and sell oil and gas for 20 years from an oil field and 25 years from a gas field.
The firm must offer to sell gas to Petrobangla and if Petrobangla does not accept within six months the contractor can sell it in Bangladesh, according to the document.
Bangladesh's offshore gas output has been zero since October 1 when the Sangu offshore field was shut permanently because it was not commercially viable.
"Santos (STO.AX), an Australian oil and gas exploration company, the operator of the field officially informed us about the closure," said Mohammad Imaduddin, director of Petrobangla.
Sangu was only producing 2.5 million cubic feet gas a day compared to the up to 180 million cubic feet of gas a day it produced at its peak.
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Update: Death Toll Reaches 2,461; US$1B Is Needed To Fight It, Says UN
- Australia To Lose Hundreds Of Billions Worth Of Infrastructure Due To Rising Sea Levels
- UK Starts Ebola Vaccine Trials on Humans
- Health Virus Alert: Canadians Urged to Watch Out Against Rare Enterovirus D68; 3 Cases Confirmed in B.C., 18 in Alberta
- Economy Travel Not So Anymore with Air Canada, Starts Charging C$25 Checked Bag Fee
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet