Sochi 2014: Great Britain’s Women Curling Team Makes it to the Semifinals
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 18, 2014 1:50 PM EST
Great Britain's women curling team have secured themselves a spot in the semifinals of the said event at the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics.
Muirhead and her team defeated the host country Russia with a 9-6 win in an arduous match on Monday, but lost to Denmark by one point 8-7 later that evening. Nonetheless, their current team standing is good enough to for their team to make the semifinals on Wednesday. The Brits first lost to the Canadians on Feb 12 when they met for the first time during one of the qualification rounds.
Britain's skip Muirhead was really pleased with her team's victory. She felt content just being able to reach the semifinals.
"We came out here with a couple of goals," Muirhead told ESPN. "Number one was to make the top four, so we're super, super happy," she added.
The 23-year-old British curler said that she would rather lose a game in the playoffs than lose a game in the semifinals. She went on and revealed that she likes playing under pressure, which is very much true after she showed great poise and performance in their strenuous match against Russia.
"We have some great fans, but half the time we couldn't hear ourselves think and that was because of the Russians," Muirhead told the Daily Record.
"Near the latter stages of the game, they got a bit noisier, and when I was ready to play my last shot, I couldn't really hear myself think."
Muirhead admitted that they knew it was going to be difficult to compete against Russia. Aside from the Russian's homecourt advantage, which everyone know is a great asset to a team, Russia is one of the big European rivals of Great Britain.
Muirhead led the Great Britain's women curling team to a 9-6 win over Russia. Their victory over the Russians already secured themselves a spot at the semifinals, regardless of the result of their match against Denmark.
Great Britain will compete against Canada on Wednesday. The other semifinals match is going to be between Sweden and Switzerland on the same day.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage