Sochi 2014: Great Britain’s Women Curling Team Makes it to the Semifinals
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 18, 2014 1:50 PM EST
Great Britain's women curling team have secured themselves a spot in the semifinals of the said event at the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics.
Muirhead and her team defeated the host country Russia with a 9-6 win in an arduous match on Monday, but lost to Denmark by one point 8-7 later that evening. Nonetheless, their current team standing is good enough to for their team to make the semifinals on Wednesday. The Brits first lost to the Canadians on Feb 12 when they met for the first time during one of the qualification rounds.
Britain's skip Muirhead was really pleased with her team's victory. She felt content just being able to reach the semifinals.
"We came out here with a couple of goals," Muirhead told ESPN. "Number one was to make the top four, so we're super, super happy," she added.
The 23-year-old British curler said that she would rather lose a game in the playoffs than lose a game in the semifinals. She went on and revealed that she likes playing under pressure, which is very much true after she showed great poise and performance in their strenuous match against Russia.
"We have some great fans, but half the time we couldn't hear ourselves think and that was because of the Russians," Muirhead told the Daily Record.
"Near the latter stages of the game, they got a bit noisier, and when I was ready to play my last shot, I couldn't really hear myself think."
Muirhead admitted that they knew it was going to be difficult to compete against Russia. Aside from the Russian's homecourt advantage, which everyone know is a great asset to a team, Russia is one of the big European rivals of Great Britain.
Muirhead led the Great Britain's women curling team to a 9-6 win over Russia. Their victory over the Russians already secured themselves a spot at the semifinals, regardless of the result of their match against Denmark.
Great Britain will compete against Canada on Wednesday. The other semifinals match is going to be between Sweden and Switzerland on the same day.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- Dallas Mavericks Owner Mark Cuban Wants The Los Angeles Lakers To ‘Suck Forever’
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Exit For Messi Is Possible - Tata Martino
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports
- Xiaomi to Kill Redmi 1S for More Redmi Notes
- New Zealand Dairy Industry Feels Bullish At Chinese President's Visit