Sochi 2014: Great Britain’s Women Curling Team Makes it to the Semifinals
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 18, 2014 1:50 PM EST
Great Britain's women curling team have secured themselves a spot in the semifinals of the said event at the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics.
Muirhead and her team defeated the host country Russia with a 9-6 win in an arduous match on Monday, but lost to Denmark by one point 8-7 later that evening. Nonetheless, their current team standing is good enough to for their team to make the semifinals on Wednesday. The Brits first lost to the Canadians on Feb 12 when they met for the first time during one of the qualification rounds.
Britain's skip Muirhead was really pleased with her team's victory. She felt content just being able to reach the semifinals.
"We came out here with a couple of goals," Muirhead told ESPN. "Number one was to make the top four, so we're super, super happy," she added.
The 23-year-old British curler said that she would rather lose a game in the playoffs than lose a game in the semifinals. She went on and revealed that she likes playing under pressure, which is very much true after she showed great poise and performance in their strenuous match against Russia.
"We have some great fans, but half the time we couldn't hear ourselves think and that was because of the Russians," Muirhead told the Daily Record.
"Near the latter stages of the game, they got a bit noisier, and when I was ready to play my last shot, I couldn't really hear myself think."
Muirhead admitted that they knew it was going to be difficult to compete against Russia. Aside from the Russian's homecourt advantage, which everyone know is a great asset to a team, Russia is one of the big European rivals of Great Britain.
Muirhead led the Great Britain's women curling team to a 9-6 win over Russia. Their victory over the Russians already secured themselves a spot at the semifinals, regardless of the result of their match against Denmark.
Great Britain will compete against Canada on Wednesday. The other semifinals match is going to be between Sweden and Switzerland on the same day.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’