Sochi 2014: Great Britain’s Women Curling Team Makes it to the Semifinals
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 18, 2014 1:50 PM EST
Great Britain's women curling team have secured themselves a spot in the semifinals of the said event at the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics.
Muirhead and her team defeated the host country Russia with a 9-6 win in an arduous match on Monday, but lost to Denmark by one point 8-7 later that evening. Nonetheless, their current team standing is good enough to for their team to make the semifinals on Wednesday. The Brits first lost to the Canadians on Feb 12 when they met for the first time during one of the qualification rounds.
Britain's skip Muirhead was really pleased with her team's victory. She felt content just being able to reach the semifinals.
"We came out here with a couple of goals," Muirhead told ESPN. "Number one was to make the top four, so we're super, super happy," she added.
The 23-year-old British curler said that she would rather lose a game in the playoffs than lose a game in the semifinals. She went on and revealed that she likes playing under pressure, which is very much true after she showed great poise and performance in their strenuous match against Russia.
"We have some great fans, but half the time we couldn't hear ourselves think and that was because of the Russians," Muirhead told the Daily Record.
"Near the latter stages of the game, they got a bit noisier, and when I was ready to play my last shot, I couldn't really hear myself think."
Muirhead admitted that they knew it was going to be difficult to compete against Russia. Aside from the Russian's homecourt advantage, which everyone know is a great asset to a team, Russia is one of the big European rivals of Great Britain.
Muirhead led the Great Britain's women curling team to a 9-6 win over Russia. Their victory over the Russians already secured themselves a spot at the semifinals, regardless of the result of their match against Denmark.
Great Britain will compete against Canada on Wednesday. The other semifinals match is going to be between Sweden and Switzerland on the same day.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate