Floyd Mayweather Jr. Next Fight: Marcos Maidana No. 1 Contender for Money on May 3rd
By Lou Ramon Aguila | February 18, 2014 11:54 AM EST
Argentine welterweight champ Marcos Maidana believes he's going to be one fighting undefeated pound-for-pound champ Floyd Mayweather Jr. on May 3 at MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas, Nevada.
In an interview with Buenas Aires Herald, Maidana confirmed that his showdown with five-division world champion has already been arranged, and only an official announcement from Mayweather's camp is needed to seal the deal.
Boxing champion Floyd Mayweather Jr greets fans and amateur boxers during a visit to conduct training clinics in Soweto
Maidana, who is coming off the biggest victory of his career after pummeling pound-for-pound star Adrien Broner in their WBA Welterweight title fight last December, said he's already training for the Mayweather showdown, a fight that would surely give him the biggest paycheck in his boxing career.
"I'm waiting for the fight to be announced", said golden Olimpia 2013 winner to La Voz del Interior newspaper via Buenas Aires Herald, while he assured he is "already training for the fight."
Hours right after report from Buenas Aires Herald circulated, Maidana's camp immediately cleared that the fight with the Grand Rapids native is not a done deal yet, though the boxer is very much in the mix to land the fight.
"Maidana is well aware that he is indeed a firm candidate to face Mayweather Jr next May 3, but the fight is far from being made or confirmed as other fighters are still also in the mix. Hopefully we will have news in the next few days but in the meantime we don't want to confuse the fans or the boxing press. Maidana of course wants to unify titles with Mayweather but for now we will have to wait," posted by Maidana camp on Facebook account.
Great Britain's top welterweight Amir Khan remains hopeful that he will eventually be picked to fight Mayweather, especially after he defeated Maidana in the poll conducted by Mayweather Promotions.
On the other hand, Mayweather's decision to fight Maidana will surely a big blow to Khan, who has spent the last 10 months waiting for Money May to announce him as his official opponent for his Cinco de Mayo showpiece.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date