Floyd Mayweather Jr. Next Fight: Marcos Maidana No. 1 Contender for Money on May 3rd
By Lou Ramon Aguila | February 18, 2014 11:54 AM EST
Argentine welterweight champ Marcos Maidana believes he's going to be one fighting undefeated pound-for-pound champ Floyd Mayweather Jr. on May 3 at MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas, Nevada.
In an interview with Buenas Aires Herald, Maidana confirmed that his showdown with five-division world champion has already been arranged, and only an official announcement from Mayweather's camp is needed to seal the deal.
Boxing champion Floyd Mayweather Jr greets fans and amateur boxers during a visit to conduct training clinics in Soweto
Maidana, who is coming off the biggest victory of his career after pummeling pound-for-pound star Adrien Broner in their WBA Welterweight title fight last December, said he's already training for the Mayweather showdown, a fight that would surely give him the biggest paycheck in his boxing career.
"I'm waiting for the fight to be announced", said golden Olimpia 2013 winner to La Voz del Interior newspaper via Buenas Aires Herald, while he assured he is "already training for the fight."
Hours right after report from Buenas Aires Herald circulated, Maidana's camp immediately cleared that the fight with the Grand Rapids native is not a done deal yet, though the boxer is very much in the mix to land the fight.
"Maidana is well aware that he is indeed a firm candidate to face Mayweather Jr next May 3, but the fight is far from being made or confirmed as other fighters are still also in the mix. Hopefully we will have news in the next few days but in the meantime we don't want to confuse the fans or the boxing press. Maidana of course wants to unify titles with Mayweather but for now we will have to wait," posted by Maidana camp on Facebook account.
Great Britain's top welterweight Amir Khan remains hopeful that he will eventually be picked to fight Mayweather, especially after he defeated Maidana in the poll conducted by Mayweather Promotions.
On the other hand, Mayweather's decision to fight Maidana will surely a big blow to Khan, who has spent the last 10 months waiting for Money May to announce him as his official opponent for his Cinco de Mayo showpiece.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- Muslim NFL Player Husain Abdullah Penalised For Praying After Touchdown
- Ronda Rousey Puts Up Her Belongings For Auction
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes