Floyd Mayweather Jr. Next Fight: Marcos Maidana No. 1 Contender for Money on May 3rd
By Lou Ramon Aguila | February 18, 2014 11:54 AM EST
Argentine welterweight champ Marcos Maidana believes he's going to be one fighting undefeated pound-for-pound champ Floyd Mayweather Jr. on May 3 at MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas, Nevada.
In an interview with Buenas Aires Herald, Maidana confirmed that his showdown with five-division world champion has already been arranged, and only an official announcement from Mayweather's camp is needed to seal the deal.
Boxing champion Floyd Mayweather Jr greets fans and amateur boxers during a visit to conduct training clinics in Soweto
Maidana, who is coming off the biggest victory of his career after pummeling pound-for-pound star Adrien Broner in their WBA Welterweight title fight last December, said he's already training for the Mayweather showdown, a fight that would surely give him the biggest paycheck in his boxing career.
"I'm waiting for the fight to be announced", said golden Olimpia 2013 winner to La Voz del Interior newspaper via Buenas Aires Herald, while he assured he is "already training for the fight."
Hours right after report from Buenas Aires Herald circulated, Maidana's camp immediately cleared that the fight with the Grand Rapids native is not a done deal yet, though the boxer is very much in the mix to land the fight.
"Maidana is well aware that he is indeed a firm candidate to face Mayweather Jr next May 3, but the fight is far from being made or confirmed as other fighters are still also in the mix. Hopefully we will have news in the next few days but in the meantime we don't want to confuse the fans or the boxing press. Maidana of course wants to unify titles with Mayweather but for now we will have to wait," posted by Maidana camp on Facebook account.
Great Britain's top welterweight Amir Khan remains hopeful that he will eventually be picked to fight Mayweather, especially after he defeated Maidana in the poll conducted by Mayweather Promotions.
On the other hand, Mayweather's decision to fight Maidana will surely a big blow to Khan, who has spent the last 10 months waiting for Money May to announce him as his official opponent for his Cinco de Mayo showpiece.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Rumours Spice Up as Balotelli is Spotted in New York, where Gunners will Hold Pre-season Camp [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales