Floyd Mayweather Jr. Next Fight: Marcos Maidana No. 1 Contender for Money on May 3rd
By Lou Ramon Aguila | February 18, 2014 11:54 AM EST
Argentine welterweight champ Marcos Maidana believes he's going to be one fighting undefeated pound-for-pound champ Floyd Mayweather Jr. on May 3 at MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas, Nevada.
In an interview with Buenas Aires Herald, Maidana confirmed that his showdown with five-division world champion has already been arranged, and only an official announcement from Mayweather's camp is needed to seal the deal.
Boxing champion Floyd Mayweather Jr greets fans and amateur boxers during a visit to conduct training clinics in Soweto
Maidana, who is coming off the biggest victory of his career after pummeling pound-for-pound star Adrien Broner in their WBA Welterweight title fight last December, said he's already training for the Mayweather showdown, a fight that would surely give him the biggest paycheck in his boxing career.
"I'm waiting for the fight to be announced", said golden Olimpia 2013 winner to La Voz del Interior newspaper via Buenas Aires Herald, while he assured he is "already training for the fight."
Hours right after report from Buenas Aires Herald circulated, Maidana's camp immediately cleared that the fight with the Grand Rapids native is not a done deal yet, though the boxer is very much in the mix to land the fight.
"Maidana is well aware that he is indeed a firm candidate to face Mayweather Jr next May 3, but the fight is far from being made or confirmed as other fighters are still also in the mix. Hopefully we will have news in the next few days but in the meantime we don't want to confuse the fans or the boxing press. Maidana of course wants to unify titles with Mayweather but for now we will have to wait," posted by Maidana camp on Facebook account.
Great Britain's top welterweight Amir Khan remains hopeful that he will eventually be picked to fight Mayweather, especially after he defeated Maidana in the poll conducted by Mayweather Promotions.
On the other hand, Mayweather's decision to fight Maidana will surely a big blow to Khan, who has spent the last 10 months waiting for Money May to announce him as his official opponent for his Cinco de Mayo showpiece.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Mehdi Benatia and Alex Song in the Mix as Wenger Looks to 'Strengthen Defensive Department'
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6