Cate Blanchett Stunning in Black Gown after Snagging the Lead Actress Award in BAFTA
By Maychelle Ornos | February 18, 2014 10:32 AM EST
The coveted Best Actress award in the recently concluded BAFTA (British Academy of Film and Television Arts) was taken home by seasoned actress Cate Blanchett in the movie "Blue Jasmine." Her portrayal of a fallen Manhattan socialite Jasmine in Woody Allen's who has lost all her money and homeless but still oblivious to the fact that she is broke and is struggling with her current financial status. A review from the Vanity Fair views the film as Allen's cruelest film ever but is the most human in all of his films.
Cate Blanchett celebrates winning Best Actress for "Blue Jasmine" at the British Academy of Film and Arts (BAFTA) awards ceremony at the Royal Opera House in London February 16, 2014. REUTERS/Suzanne
The BAFTA awardee looked dazzling in a black floral dress while walking down the red carpet. However, during her walk on the red carpet she has avoided questions about the alleged sexual abuse accusations on Allen. The accusation was filed by Allen's ex-partner Mia Farrow and adopted daughter Dylan.
The 44-year-old Australian actress dedicated the award to the one of her close friends in the business, Philip Seymour Hoffman, who has passed away due to heroin overdose last February 2014. "Phil, buddy, this is for you, you bastard, I hope you are proud," Blanchett said in her acceptance speech.
This award, however, is not the first BAFTA for Blanchett as she has also received the award for the movies "Elizabeth" in 1999 and "The Aviator" in 2005. This may seem like a possible signs for another Oscar for the "Blue Jasmine" star. Many are eager for the upcoming Oscars in March 2, to see if the BAFTA awardees will still reclaim their spot in the limelight. Although it does look promising for Blanchett.
Other Best Actress nominees who also shined were Amy Adams in the "American Hustle," Sandra Bullock in "Gravity," Emma Thompson in "Saving Mr. Banks," and Judi Dench in "Philomena." Even with the current problems faced by Allen, Blanchett seemed like a woman in control and composed.
Most Hollywood insiders view the BAFTA awards as a dry run for the Oscars but will the same stars emerge victorious is still too soon to tell. It is still anybody's game until the winners are read aloud in the upcoming Oscars.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related