Cate Blanchett Stunning in Black Gown after Snagging the Lead Actress Award in BAFTA
By Maychelle Ornos | February 18, 2014 10:32 AM EST
The coveted Best Actress award in the recently concluded BAFTA (British Academy of Film and Television Arts) was taken home by seasoned actress Cate Blanchett in the movie "Blue Jasmine." Her portrayal of a fallen Manhattan socialite Jasmine in Woody Allen's who has lost all her money and homeless but still oblivious to the fact that she is broke and is struggling with her current financial status. A review from the Vanity Fair views the film as Allen's cruelest film ever but is the most human in all of his films.
Cate Blanchett celebrates winning Best Actress for "Blue Jasmine" at the British Academy of Film and Arts (BAFTA) awards ceremony at the Royal Opera House in London February 16, 2014. REUTERS/Suzanne
The BAFTA awardee looked dazzling in a black floral dress while walking down the red carpet. However, during her walk on the red carpet she has avoided questions about the alleged sexual abuse accusations on Allen. The accusation was filed by Allen's ex-partner Mia Farrow and adopted daughter Dylan.
The 44-year-old Australian actress dedicated the award to the one of her close friends in the business, Philip Seymour Hoffman, who has passed away due to heroin overdose last February 2014. "Phil, buddy, this is for you, you bastard, I hope you are proud," Blanchett said in her acceptance speech.
This award, however, is not the first BAFTA for Blanchett as she has also received the award for the movies "Elizabeth" in 1999 and "The Aviator" in 2005. This may seem like a possible signs for another Oscar for the "Blue Jasmine" star. Many are eager for the upcoming Oscars in March 2, to see if the BAFTA awardees will still reclaim their spot in the limelight. Although it does look promising for Blanchett.
Other Best Actress nominees who also shined were Amy Adams in the "American Hustle," Sandra Bullock in "Gravity," Emma Thompson in "Saving Mr. Banks," and Judi Dench in "Philomena." Even with the current problems faced by Allen, Blanchett seemed like a woman in control and composed.
Most Hollywood insiders view the BAFTA awards as a dry run for the Oscars but will the same stars emerge victorious is still too soon to tell. It is still anybody's game until the winners are read aloud in the upcoming Oscars.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Will Name Second Child Diana, Camilla Parker-Bowles Not Invited to Prince George’s Birthday - Reports
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Ian Somerhalder and Nina Dobrev Drama: Heartbroken The Vampire Diaries Actress Reacts to Nikki Reed Dating News—Report
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales