Study: New Dads Lose Sex Drive, 1/3 of Testosterone on Baby’s 1st Year
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 18, 2014 10:13 AM EST
A boy cries as his father holds him still for a polio vaccination in Sanaa December 17, 2013, during a national campaign to vaccinate more than 4.7 million children across Yemen against polio. REUTERS/Khaled Abdullah
Wives or girlfriends, if you had just given birth for the first time and you notice the lack of interest or sex drive from your husband or boyfriend in the next couple of months, fret not.
It is not because he no longer finds you physically attractive because of extra pounds gained after delivering a baby, or because he has a mistress on the side.
A new study released by the Notre Dame University explained the phenomenon to new dads temporarily losing their sex drive during this period as their testosterone drop by about one-third until the baby reaches 12 months.
Rather than worry about his seemingly lack of interest in having sex with you, use this period to fix a rocky relationship and reduce the chance of a divorce by tapping to your advantage his becoming more caring, protective and less aggressive during this period when his focus is more on protecting the newborn, above all things.
The research added that fatherhood also helps block colds and flu.
Dr Lee Gettler, a researcher of Notre Dame, said, quoted by The Mirror, "It's not just mothers who go through pregnancy and birth, and it's not just mothers who biologically respond to parenthood ... Our species has evolved maternal instincts which are somewhat unique to our species compared with our closest relatives."
However, Mr Gettler clarified that undergoing these changes does not affect a new dad's masculinity.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting: Giant 5 Mile Wide UFO Spotted Over the Ocean in NASA Photograph [Watch Video]
- UFO Sighting In Portsmouth: Sign Of Alien Life Or Smudge On The Camera [Watch Video]
- Lifestyle Changes Reduces Risk of Dementia, According To World Alzheimer Report 2014
- Death By Ice Bucket Challenge Accident For Kentucky Firefighter
- Canada PM Stephen Harper to Skip UN Climate Summit
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?