Study: New Dads Lose Sex Drive, 1/3 of Testosterone on Baby’s 1st Year
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 18, 2014 10:13 AM EST
A boy cries as his father holds him still for a polio vaccination in Sanaa December 17, 2013, during a national campaign to vaccinate more than 4.7 million children across Yemen against polio. REUTERS/Khaled Abdullah
Wives or girlfriends, if you had just given birth for the first time and you notice the lack of interest or sex drive from your husband or boyfriend in the next couple of months, fret not.
It is not because he no longer finds you physically attractive because of extra pounds gained after delivering a baby, or because he has a mistress on the side.
A new study released by the Notre Dame University explained the phenomenon to new dads temporarily losing their sex drive during this period as their testosterone drop by about one-third until the baby reaches 12 months.
Rather than worry about his seemingly lack of interest in having sex with you, use this period to fix a rocky relationship and reduce the chance of a divorce by tapping to your advantage his becoming more caring, protective and less aggressive during this period when his focus is more on protecting the newborn, above all things.
The research added that fatherhood also helps block colds and flu.
Dr Lee Gettler, a researcher of Notre Dame, said, quoted by The Mirror, "It's not just mothers who go through pregnancy and birth, and it's not just mothers who biologically respond to parenthood ... Our species has evolved maternal instincts which are somewhat unique to our species compared with our closest relatives."
However, Mr Gettler clarified that undergoing these changes does not affect a new dad's masculinity.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Celebs: Struggle With Drug Addiction
Join the Conversation
- Coming Soon: AntiViral Gel in Condoms to Kill HIV Virus
- HIV Cure: First Effective Cure to Have Long-Term Remission; 3 Factors to Check on Inactive Virus
- Tree of 40 Fruit: A Tree That Produces 40 Fruits in New York
- Study Shows Oceans are Vital For Alien Life
- Experts Recommend a New Discipline Combining Neuroscience and Psychology
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People