Study: New Dads Lose Sex Drive, 1/3 of Testosterone on Baby’s 1st Year
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 18, 2014 10:13 AM EST
A boy cries as his father holds him still for a polio vaccination in Sanaa December 17, 2013, during a national campaign to vaccinate more than 4.7 million children across Yemen against polio. REUTERS/Khaled Abdullah
Wives or girlfriends, if you had just given birth for the first time and you notice the lack of interest or sex drive from your husband or boyfriend in the next couple of months, fret not.
It is not because he no longer finds you physically attractive because of extra pounds gained after delivering a baby, or because he has a mistress on the side.
A new study released by the Notre Dame University explained the phenomenon to new dads temporarily losing their sex drive during this period as their testosterone drop by about one-third until the baby reaches 12 months.
Rather than worry about his seemingly lack of interest in having sex with you, use this period to fix a rocky relationship and reduce the chance of a divorce by tapping to your advantage his becoming more caring, protective and less aggressive during this period when his focus is more on protecting the newborn, above all things.
The research added that fatherhood also helps block colds and flu.
Dr Lee Gettler, a researcher of Notre Dame, said, quoted by The Mirror, "It's not just mothers who go through pregnancy and birth, and it's not just mothers who biologically respond to parenthood ... Our species has evolved maternal instincts which are somewhat unique to our species compared with our closest relatives."
However, Mr Gettler clarified that undergoing these changes does not affect a new dad's masculinity.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- Final 2014 Solar Eclipse: When And How To Safely View It Plus Where To Watch Online Via Live Stream
- Britons Advised to Brace for Strong Hurricane Gonzalo Bearing Winds Up to 75mph; Affects Flights, Train Services
- MH370 Search Update: Australian Scientist Has Reportedly Found A Solution To The Mystery Of Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories