President's Day 2014: Is it Really George Washington's Birthday?
By Johnlee Varghese | February 17, 2014 11:59 PM EST
It’s President's Day, a time for big sales, a holiday but what is it for? Is it really George Washington's birthday or is it Abraham Lincoln's birthday?
It's quite strange, as President's Day 2014 - 17 February, is neither the birthday of Washington or Abe. In fact, Lincoln's birthday was on 12 February, while Washington's falls on 22 February.
But then what happened? Well, according to the US National Archives, the passage of Public Law 90-363 in 1968 moved the traditional observance of Washington's birthday from 22 February to the third Monday in February. Since Washington's birthday fell right after Lincoln's birthday (February 12), many states chose to combine the two events into President's Day, a day that is now used for honoring all former US Presidents.
The archive records note that "in 1968 Congress passed the Monday Holiday Law to 'provide uniform annual observances of certain legal public holidays on Mondays'. Therefore, by creating more 3-day weekends, Congress hoped to "bring substantial benefits to both the spiritual and economic life of the Nation."
Ironically, this means that the holiday would never be celebrated on Washington's actual birthday.
President’s Day to a large extend is celebrated as Washington’s birthday but some states in fact honor both Washington and Lincoln. However, there are also states that honor Washington and Thomas Jefferson but not Lincoln on President’s Day, while some states honor all Presidents.
Then there are states such as Illinois that has declared Lincoln’s birthday on 12 February as a state holiday and also observes the federal holiday.
In Virginia, Washington’s home state, the holiday is called George Washington’s Day. In Alabama, it is called “Washington and Jefferson Day” though Jefferson was born on 13 April.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where to Watch Delta Aquarids July 28-29 Peak Online, NASA Cameras Spotted Start of Perseid Meteor Shower
- Viral Wedding Photo: Amy Hicks Reveals True Story behind Viral Photo that Created Trending Hashtag on Twitter #westillcoming
- New Zealand-Born IDF Soldier Killed in Gaza Attack Amid Ceasefire Promises
- Six-Year-Old Canada girl Dies after Hit by Sedan in Crowded Store
- Volunteer Teen Rapes Orphans during Mission Trip
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal