‘Gunday’ Box Office Collection: Ranveer-Arjun Starrer Enjoys Solid First Weekend But Misses ₹50-crore Mark
By sangeetha seshagiri | February 17, 2014 8:54 PM EST
Ranveer Singh-Arjun Kapoor's "Gunday" had a solid first weekend with the film earning ₹43.93 crore nett at the Indian box office. [Also Read: When Will Rajinikanth's 'Kochadaiiyaan' Audio, Trailer Release?]
"Gunday", which released on 14 February, opened to a good start upon its release. The film minted ₹16.12 crore on Friday, but its collections dropped on the second day with the film raking in ₹12.63 crore.
However, "Gunday" witnessed a significant jump in its collections on the third day (Sunday) and the film earned ₹15.18 crore. The first weekend collections amount to ₹43.93 crore, which is really good for the action drama.
"#Gunday Fri 16.12 cr, Sat 12.63 cr, Sun 15.18 cr. Total: ₹ 43.93 cr nett. India biz only. Excellent!," film critic and trade analyst Taran Adarsh tweeted.
The film has failed to surpass the first weekend collections of Salman Khan's recently-released "Jai Ho", which earned ₹60.68 crore in its debut weekend. The Ranveer starrer has even failed to cross the opening weekend collections of his last release "Goliyon Ki Raasleela Ram-leela", which earned ₹52.75 crore.
The fantastic business of "Gunday" should bring a sense of relief for Arjun Kapoor and the female lead Priyanka Chopra who are badly in need of a hit.
Although "Gunday" did superb business in its opening weekend, the film could not surpass the ₹50-crore mark. It remains to be seen as to how the film performs on weekdays. If the crime thriller flick sustains its momentum during the weekdays, it has got high chances of making it big at the Indian box office.
Directed by Ali Abbas Zafar, "Gunday" revolves around Ranveer, Arjun and Priyanka. The film, set in 1970's Calcutta, has action, bromance, romance and revenge as the key elements.
"Gunday" received mixed reviews from critics, but it has been well received by the audience which is evident from its collections.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop