Bode Miller is Driven to Tears by NBC Interviewer; Netizens Furious
By Keerthi Mohan | February 17, 2014 8:36 PM EST
Bode Miller won a bronze medal in the men’s super-G competition and became the oldest Olympic Alpine medalist ever at the age of 36. Miller's bronze was his sixth in alpine skiing.
While this is quite a feat he has achieved, he was trending on Twitter for a totally different reason – his emotional post game interview, where NBC reporter Christin Cooper questioned him about his brother, Chelone, who passed away last year.
Third-placed Bode Miller (R) of the U.S. cries after the men's alpine skiing Super-G competition during the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics at the Rosa Khutor Alpine Cente February 16, 2014.
Chelone, a professional snowboarder, was 29 when he died of seizure and according to reports, it was his dream to compete in the Olympics with his brother.
Although it was Miller who brought up the topic of his brother saying, "With my brother passing away, I really wanted to come back here and race the way he sends it," Cooper has been criticized for pressing him to talk more about Chelone.
“When you’re looking up in the sky at the start, we see you there and it just looks like you’re talking to somebody. What’s going on there?" she asked an emotional Miller.
Since the interview’s telecast, Cooper has been under constant criticism from Twittersphere with many saying she was out of line with the interview.
But Miller soon defended Cooper with a number of tweets saying that she should not be blamed for his emotional state.
“Thanks for all the support, today was one of the most emotional days of my life. I miss my brother.”
“I appreciate everyone sticking up for me. Please be gentle w christin cooper, it was crazy emotional and not all her fault. #heatofthemoment,” he wrote.
“My emotions were very raw, she asked the questions that every interviewer would have, pushing is part of it, she wasnt trying to cause pain,” Miller added.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments