Bode Miller is Driven to Tears by NBC Interviewer; Netizens Furious
By Keerthi Mohan | February 17, 2014 8:36 PM EST
Bode Miller won a bronze medal in the men’s super-G competition and became the oldest Olympic Alpine medalist ever at the age of 36. Miller's bronze was his sixth in alpine skiing.
While this is quite a feat he has achieved, he was trending on Twitter for a totally different reason – his emotional post game interview, where NBC reporter Christin Cooper questioned him about his brother, Chelone, who passed away last year.
Third-placed Bode Miller (R) of the U.S. cries after the men's alpine skiing Super-G competition during the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics at the Rosa Khutor Alpine Cente February 16, 2014.
Chelone, a professional snowboarder, was 29 when he died of seizure and according to reports, it was his dream to compete in the Olympics with his brother.
Although it was Miller who brought up the topic of his brother saying, "With my brother passing away, I really wanted to come back here and race the way he sends it," Cooper has been criticized for pressing him to talk more about Chelone.
“When you’re looking up in the sky at the start, we see you there and it just looks like you’re talking to somebody. What’s going on there?" she asked an emotional Miller.
Since the interview’s telecast, Cooper has been under constant criticism from Twittersphere with many saying she was out of line with the interview.
But Miller soon defended Cooper with a number of tweets saying that she should not be blamed for his emotional state.
“Thanks for all the support, today was one of the most emotional days of my life. I miss my brother.”
“I appreciate everyone sticking up for me. Please be gentle w christin cooper, it was crazy emotional and not all her fault. #heatofthemoment,” he wrote.
“My emotions were very raw, she asked the questions that every interviewer would have, pushing is part of it, she wasnt trying to cause pain,” Miller added.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier