Bode Miller is Driven to Tears by NBC Interviewer; Netizens Furious
By Keerthi Mohan | February 17, 2014 8:36 PM EST
Bode Miller won a bronze medal in the men’s super-G competition and became the oldest Olympic Alpine medalist ever at the age of 36. Miller's bronze was his sixth in alpine skiing.
While this is quite a feat he has achieved, he was trending on Twitter for a totally different reason – his emotional post game interview, where NBC reporter Christin Cooper questioned him about his brother, Chelone, who passed away last year.
Third-placed Bode Miller (R) of the U.S. cries after the men's alpine skiing Super-G competition during the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics at the Rosa Khutor Alpine Cente February 16, 2014.
Chelone, a professional snowboarder, was 29 when he died of seizure and according to reports, it was his dream to compete in the Olympics with his brother.
Although it was Miller who brought up the topic of his brother saying, "With my brother passing away, I really wanted to come back here and race the way he sends it," Cooper has been criticized for pressing him to talk more about Chelone.
“When you’re looking up in the sky at the start, we see you there and it just looks like you’re talking to somebody. What’s going on there?" she asked an emotional Miller.
Since the interview’s telecast, Cooper has been under constant criticism from Twittersphere with many saying she was out of line with the interview.
But Miller soon defended Cooper with a number of tweets saying that she should not be blamed for his emotional state.
“Thanks for all the support, today was one of the most emotional days of my life. I miss my brother.”
“I appreciate everyone sticking up for me. Please be gentle w christin cooper, it was crazy emotional and not all her fault. #heatofthemoment,” he wrote.
“My emotions were very raw, she asked the questions that every interviewer would have, pushing is part of it, she wasnt trying to cause pain,” Miller added.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report