Snake-Handling Pastor Dies of Snakebite; Jamie Coots Refused Treatment [VIDEO]
By Keerthi Mohan | February 17, 2014 7:55 PM EST
Pastor Jamie Coots had been handling snakes for the past 21 years, and had been bitten eight times and even lost a finger before a rattlesnake bit him during a service on Saturday that resulted in his death.
Pastor Jamie Coots was bitten by a rattlesnake.
Coots, 42, a Pentecostal pastor from Kentucky, was a star of National Geographic's "Snake Salvation" reality series where he handles snakes and preaches his belief that poisonous snakes will not harm believers as long as they are blessed by God.
The show documented the pastor’s work to preserve the Christian tradition of handling snakes, which is illegal in most states in the U.S.
Police officials told ABC News that they received a call about a snakebite injury at around 8.30 p.m. on Saturday. But when emergency respondents reached Coots’ church, he had already driven away to his home.
Officials then went to his home and tried to persuade him to accept medical help. But he refused saying that it was God’s plan.
During an interview with Sunday Night, an Australian program, in 2013, Coots said that he would not accept medical help if he is bitten during service.
“I made a vow to god when I first started taking up serpents that if ever I was bitten I wouldn't go to hospital,” he said at the time, according to Daily Mail. “I believe that when its my time to go there aint a doctor in this world that can keep me here.”
At the interview, he said that he had been handling snakes since he was in his early 20s after God instructed him to do so.
“A peace and a calm came over me and yet an overwhelming joy that God had counted me worthy to let me do that,' he recalled, and added that his family is involved in carrying on the tradition.
“To see Trina [daughter] or Cody [son] take up a serpent, I know I have done my job as far as training them up in what we believe,” he said.
In 2008, he was arrested for keeping 74 snakes in his home.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- 15 Orgasms/Week, $27K/Yr Salary Not Bad for Professional Toy Tester Cara Houiellebecq (VIDEO)
- Thai’s Crackdown on Commercial Surrogacy Exposes Aussie Couple’s Appalling Deed
- 2014 Perseid Meteor Shower vs. Supermoon: Best to View Meteor Shower Display before August 12 to 13 Peak
- Australian Wanted Man Threatens Terror in Australia, Demands Release of Muslim Prisoners
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff