Snake-Handling Pastor Dies of Snakebite; Jamie Coots Refused Treatment [VIDEO]
By Keerthi Mohan | February 17, 2014 7:55 PM EST
Pastor Jamie Coots had been handling snakes for the past 21 years, and had been bitten eight times and even lost a finger before a rattlesnake bit him during a service on Saturday that resulted in his death.
Pastor Jamie Coots was bitten by a rattlesnake.
Coots, 42, a Pentecostal pastor from Kentucky, was a star of National Geographic's "Snake Salvation" reality series where he handles snakes and preaches his belief that poisonous snakes will not harm believers as long as they are blessed by God.
The show documented the pastor’s work to preserve the Christian tradition of handling snakes, which is illegal in most states in the U.S.
Police officials told ABC News that they received a call about a snakebite injury at around 8.30 p.m. on Saturday. But when emergency respondents reached Coots’ church, he had already driven away to his home.
Officials then went to his home and tried to persuade him to accept medical help. But he refused saying that it was God’s plan.
During an interview with Sunday Night, an Australian program, in 2013, Coots said that he would not accept medical help if he is bitten during service.
“I made a vow to god when I first started taking up serpents that if ever I was bitten I wouldn't go to hospital,” he said at the time, according to Daily Mail. “I believe that when its my time to go there aint a doctor in this world that can keep me here.”
At the interview, he said that he had been handling snakes since he was in his early 20s after God instructed him to do so.
“A peace and a calm came over me and yet an overwhelming joy that God had counted me worthy to let me do that,' he recalled, and added that his family is involved in carrying on the tradition.
“To see Trina [daughter] or Cody [son] take up a serpent, I know I have done my job as far as training them up in what we believe,” he said.
In 2008, he was arrested for keeping 74 snakes in his home.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Surge in UFO Sightings in Queensland Observed; Gold Coast 'Hot Spot' of UFO Encounters
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- ISIS Beheading Video of Steven Sotloff Sparks Outrage; Family Believes Footage is 'Authentic'
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display