Snake-Handling Pastor Dies of Snakebite; Jamie Coots Refused Treatment [VIDEO]
By Keerthi Mohan | February 17, 2014 7:55 PM EST
Pastor Jamie Coots had been handling snakes for the past 21 years, and had been bitten eight times and even lost a finger before a rattlesnake bit him during a service on Saturday that resulted in his death.
Pastor Jamie Coots was bitten by a rattlesnake.
Coots, 42, a Pentecostal pastor from Kentucky, was a star of National Geographic's "Snake Salvation" reality series where he handles snakes and preaches his belief that poisonous snakes will not harm believers as long as they are blessed by God.
The show documented the pastor’s work to preserve the Christian tradition of handling snakes, which is illegal in most states in the U.S.
Police officials told ABC News that they received a call about a snakebite injury at around 8.30 p.m. on Saturday. But when emergency respondents reached Coots’ church, he had already driven away to his home.
Officials then went to his home and tried to persuade him to accept medical help. But he refused saying that it was God’s plan.
During an interview with Sunday Night, an Australian program, in 2013, Coots said that he would not accept medical help if he is bitten during service.
“I made a vow to god when I first started taking up serpents that if ever I was bitten I wouldn't go to hospital,” he said at the time, according to Daily Mail. “I believe that when its my time to go there aint a doctor in this world that can keep me here.”
At the interview, he said that he had been handling snakes since he was in his early 20s after God instructed him to do so.
“A peace and a calm came over me and yet an overwhelming joy that God had counted me worthy to let me do that,' he recalled, and added that his family is involved in carrying on the tradition.
“To see Trina [daughter] or Cody [son] take up a serpent, I know I have done my job as far as training them up in what we believe,” he said.
In 2008, he was arrested for keeping 74 snakes in his home.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Sickness: Prince Harry Cancels His 30th Birthday Party, Opts For Simple Gathering
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- Rare Blue Flawless Diamond, Costing $25.6 Million, Is The Newest Attraction At The Natural History Museum
- Auckland Gay Men Warned of Having Sex in Bushes of Public Park
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date