Beckham Targets Real Madrid Superstar to Play for His MLS Team
By Mark Wayne Eubank | February 17, 2014 6:51 PM EST
David Beckham is eyeing Real Madrid superstar Cristiano Ronaldo as his first big-name signing for the expansion club that he has purchased in the MLS.
David Beckham targets Real Madrid superstar Cristiano Ronaldo to play for his Miami team in the MLS
The former England captain selected Miami as his side's home location and will look to bring in a player of Ronaldo's calibre to, presumably, promote the brand.
"Becks understands the need for a big, big name in the team when it gets going," and MLS insider told The Sun.
"And none come bigger than Ronaldo - the world's greatest player."
"Ronaldo loves America and all that it offers."
"It's not a secret he has thought about finishing his career here, about living here - so a deal like this could be perfect for him."
"It is a long way off yet - we're talking 2017 - but it clearly demonstrates the ambition of the Beckham franchise."
The Portuguese skipper just signed a 5-year contract with the Los Blancos in September 2013, but the rumoured move may depend on the 29-year-old's willingness to stay at the Bernabeu vis-à-vis Real's interest in holding on to him when that time comes.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match