Beckham Targets Real Madrid Superstar to Play for His MLS Team
By Mark Wayne Eubank | February 17, 2014 6:51 PM EST
David Beckham is eyeing Real Madrid superstar Cristiano Ronaldo as his first big-name signing for the expansion club that he has purchased in the MLS.
David Beckham targets Real Madrid superstar Cristiano Ronaldo to play for his Miami team in the MLS
The former England captain selected Miami as his side's home location and will look to bring in a player of Ronaldo's calibre to, presumably, promote the brand.
"Becks understands the need for a big, big name in the team when it gets going," and MLS insider told The Sun.
"And none come bigger than Ronaldo - the world's greatest player."
"Ronaldo loves America and all that it offers."
"It's not a secret he has thought about finishing his career here, about living here - so a deal like this could be perfect for him."
"It is a long way off yet - we're talking 2017 - but it clearly demonstrates the ambition of the Beckham franchise."
The Portuguese skipper just signed a 5-year contract with the Los Blancos in September 2013, but the rumoured move may depend on the 29-year-old's willingness to stay at the Bernabeu vis-à-vis Real's interest in holding on to him when that time comes.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr On Manny Pacquiao: 'He Must Know He's Not Going To Win
- For Mayweather, The Prize Comes First, Not The Fans
- Serena Williams On Caroline Wozniacki’s Friendship:’I Have Had A Love For Caroline From The Day I Met Her’
- NBA Trade Discussions ‘Tremendous’; 10 Teams Including Rockets, Clippers and Hornets Active For Probable Deals—NBA Insider
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Signs Using Odom’s Surname; Source Reveals Khloe Still ‘Proud’ Of Being Called Mrs. Odom