Wreckage of Lost Nepal Plane Found, 18 Onboard Killed in Crash
By sangeetha seshagiri | February 17, 2014 6:40 PM EST
The wreckage of the Nepal plane, which went missing on Sunday, has been located in the western district of Arghakhanchi.
Nepal plane crash (Representational Image)
The passenger plane with 18 people on board crashed at Masine hill in the village of Dhikura due to bad weather, on Sunday. The Twin Otter craft operated by Nepal Airlines was flying from the resort city of Pokhara to Jumla. It started its journey in Kathmandu and stopped in Pokhara for refuelling. The plane lost contact with the Nepal Airlines 33 minutes after it took off from Pokhra.
Two helicopters were dispatched for search and rescue operation of the flight, however they halted the operation overnight. Aerial surveillance resumed on Monday and the burning wreckage of the flight was identified.
Security personnel reached the spot amid heavy rains and found no survivors in the crash. All 18 passengers aboard the plane including three crew members were killed in the crash.
Officials recovered the bodies of all the people and the plane's wreckage. "All 18 dead bodies have been found," army spokesman Jagadish Pokharel told Reuters. Of all the passengers, one was found be an infant and the other one was a foreign national. The police ofificals have informed Reuters that nine bodies of the victims have been charred beyond recognition.
The exact reason for the plane crash is not yet known, though civil aviation officials have blamed it on the bad weather. This is the second plane crash within a year involving a Nepal Airlines plane. Last May, a Twin Otter plane crashed in Mustang, however, the passengers escaped unhurt, reported The Hindu.
Since 2010, Nepal has witnessed six air crashes in which at least 97 people have been killed. Last year, in December, the European Union banned all Nepal's airlines from flying into the EU owing to safety measures.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
- Kate Middleton, Kelly Brook Have 'Most Perfect Breasts' While Kim Kardashian, Rihanna Have 'Least Desirable' Breasts, New Survey Finds [SEE PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Of Cambridge ‘Dissed’ By Camilla Parker-Bowles; Delivery Expected In April- Reports
- 'Green Alien Eggs' Spotted on Sydney's Dee Why Beach
- Robin Williams Confessed To Loving Billy Connolly Like A Brother In A Final Goodbye Call
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde Attends Father’s Funeral Without Handcuffs, Brother Thanks TPB Founder’s Supporters on Facebook
- Drag Queens Fume That Facebook Is Banning Aliases And Threaten to Drop Out Of It
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6: Performance, Sales, iOS 8 and Android 5.0 L