Google Nexus 8 Will Launch in April, No Nexus 7 This Year
By Precious Silva | February 17, 2014 6:05 PM EST
With Google hinting that it will not be stopping its Nexus production, new reports surface that the company plans on releasing the Google Nexus 8 this April. The company also plans on releasing another version of the Google Nexus 10. However, there are no confirmations whether the tech giant will be producing another Nexus 7 this year. Despite its success, it appears Google wants to focus on its Nexus 8 and Nexus 10 offerings. What can people expect?
Hugo Barra, director of Product Management at Android, holds a new Nexus 7 tablet during a Google event at Dogpatch Studio in San Francisco, California, July 24, 2013.
According to a report by Tom's Hardware an unnamed Taiwan-based supply chain maker's document surfaced claiming that Google has been working on an 8-inch tablet. The release date will be around April according to the report. Google will be shipping around two million units initially.
The report also emphasized that the Nexus 8 will serve as the third-generation Nexus slate for Google. This means the 7-inch model may not make an appearance this year. The upcoming model will be released following the second generation Nexus 7 released last July 2013. The first generation Nexus 7 came out in June 2012.
The shift to 8 inches is reportedly fashioned from the Nexus 7 2. According to reports, despite the positive reviews and improved hardware, Google was not satisfied on how the slate performed in the market. Likewise, the report also said that the overall sales of the Nexus 7 2 were lower than 3 million units when 2013 ended.
Analysts believe the market has been saturated with 7-inch offerings for the year. Likewise, this has also increased and toughened the competition among companies. The only way for companies to grab a good market share is to differentiate from competition. Moving away from the usual screen may do the trick. It can gain enough curiosity among consumers.
There are also analysts who believe that the tech giant does not want to dip its hands on the smartphone competition. The company will not be competing in the 5-inch and 6-inch battle happening this year. According to reports, the Google Nexus 8 will feature a Snapdragon 600 or 800 processor.
People will have to wait for the official announcement from Google to know the final details.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change