Sony Xperia G Mid-Range Smartphone: Pros And Cons vs. Xperia SP And Xperia V
By Ryan Inoyori | February 17, 2014 3:46 PM EST
Sony is preparing a new mid-range smartphone for 2014 known as Xperia G featuring 4.8-inches of display size, 8 MP rear camera, 1 GB RAM, microSD card slot and similar designs with Xperia Z1. So what makes Xperia G any better than Xperia SP or Xperia V?
Screen Size And Display Resolution
If compared with Xperia SP and V, Xperia G has more to offer with its display size and resolution. Screen size reaches up to 4.8-inches, including soft keys that are larger compared to Xperia SP's 4.6-inches or 4.3-inches on Xperia V. For display resolution, all three feature 720p viewing resolution but Xperia G has larger screen that makes everything appear bigger. Don't forget that Sony Mobile will include Bravia for mobile engine but we are not yet sure if its version 1 or version 2.
Unlike Xperia SP and V, Sony Mobile may install Android 4.2.2/4.3 Jelly Bean on Xperia G if not Android 4.4 KitKat right away. It means Xperia G will have instant entry on Sony's upcoming Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware update for the year and even future updates, including the newest Android version, we can expect to see by October 2014. Also, Xperia SP and V are under investigation with Android 4.4 KitKat update. Both are also nearing end of life cycle making Xperia G a better replacement.
If Sony uses Android 4.2/4.3 Jelly Bean, Xperia G will have the same home launcher and UI found in Xperia SP and V. Also, smart social camera apps with Timeshift Burst, AR effect, Motion Shot and Motiongraph will be included in the device. All updated version of Sony exclusive media apps are expected to become part of Xperia G multimedia features with ClearPhase, xLoud and ClearAudio engines.
Xperia Z1 Design
According to XperiaBlog, Xperia G features same design principles with Xperia Z1 but the chassis is slightly smaller relative to the overall size. You may also see signature keys such as dedicated camera button like in Xperia SP and Sony's very own power hard key.
Cons Of Xperia G On SP and V
Xperia G didn't cover important aspects of SP and V making them cons in the upcoming mid-range smartphone.
- No Illumination Bar found on Xperia SP
- 8 MP rear camera only vs. 13 MP Xperia V
- No water-resistance or dust-proof compared with Xperia V
- Similar RAM and internal storage with SP and V
No price range has been confirmed regarding Xperia G but possibly this will be the same with Xperia SP and V during their launch.
Sony fans who want to upgrade to the latest Xperia smartphones but not to flagship models should consider this unit for its new hardware, similar to 2013 mid-ranger and new 18-month update window period which something Xperia SP and V are now suffering.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Before Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire: TwitchPlaysPokemon Goes X and Y, More Events and More Gym Leader Info
- PS4 News: 2 Possible Sets of PS Plus Games for August 2014 Leaked and Additional Features for PS4
- Xbox One News: Games with Gold for August Announced; Updates for Progress in China
- Samsung Galaxy K Zoom vs. Nokia Lumia 1020 Specs and Price Comparison in Australia
- The SIMS 4 on Sept 2 Release: Low Demands Specs, No Toddlers or Pools and 3 Premium Packs
- Richard Norris' Successful Face Transplant Lands Him in GQ Cover [WATCH VIDEOS]
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- A Mother Of Two Dies While Undergoing Stem Cell Treatment
- Breaking Discovery: Industrial Pollution Reached South Pole by 19th Century
- Human Guinea Pigs for Google Health Projects