Sony Xperia G Mid-Range Smartphone: Pros And Cons vs. Xperia SP And Xperia V
By Ryan Inoyori | February 17, 2014 3:46 PM EST
Sony is preparing a new mid-range smartphone for 2014 known as Xperia G featuring 4.8-inches of display size, 8 MP rear camera, 1 GB RAM, microSD card slot and similar designs with Xperia Z1. So what makes Xperia G any better than Xperia SP or Xperia V?
Screen Size And Display Resolution
If compared with Xperia SP and V, Xperia G has more to offer with its display size and resolution. Screen size reaches up to 4.8-inches, including soft keys that are larger compared to Xperia SP's 4.6-inches or 4.3-inches on Xperia V. For display resolution, all three feature 720p viewing resolution but Xperia G has larger screen that makes everything appear bigger. Don't forget that Sony Mobile will include Bravia for mobile engine but we are not yet sure if its version 1 or version 2.
Unlike Xperia SP and V, Sony Mobile may install Android 4.2.2/4.3 Jelly Bean on Xperia G if not Android 4.4 KitKat right away. It means Xperia G will have instant entry on Sony's upcoming Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware update for the year and even future updates, including the newest Android version, we can expect to see by October 2014. Also, Xperia SP and V are under investigation with Android 4.4 KitKat update. Both are also nearing end of life cycle making Xperia G a better replacement.
If Sony uses Android 4.2/4.3 Jelly Bean, Xperia G will have the same home launcher and UI found in Xperia SP and V. Also, smart social camera apps with Timeshift Burst, AR effect, Motion Shot and Motiongraph will be included in the device. All updated version of Sony exclusive media apps are expected to become part of Xperia G multimedia features with ClearPhase, xLoud and ClearAudio engines.
Xperia Z1 Design
According to XperiaBlog, Xperia G features same design principles with Xperia Z1 but the chassis is slightly smaller relative to the overall size. You may also see signature keys such as dedicated camera button like in Xperia SP and Sony's very own power hard key.
Cons Of Xperia G On SP and V
Xperia G didn't cover important aspects of SP and V making them cons in the upcoming mid-range smartphone.
- No Illumination Bar found on Xperia SP
- 8 MP rear camera only vs. 13 MP Xperia V
- No water-resistance or dust-proof compared with Xperia V
- Similar RAM and internal storage with SP and V
No price range has been confirmed regarding Xperia G but possibly this will be the same with Xperia SP and V during their launch.
Sony fans who want to upgrade to the latest Xperia smartphones but not to flagship models should consider this unit for its new hardware, similar to 2013 mid-ranger and new 18-month update window period which something Xperia SP and V are now suffering.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Facebook To Charge Users Of $2.99 Monthly Fee On November 1; Best Free Alternatives For Facebook
- 'World Of Warcraft Warlords Of Draenor' Spoilers: 'WoD' In-Game Cinematics Revealed, Plus There's A Brewfest For The Horde And Alliance Players [WATCH VIDEOS]
- 'Dragon Age Inquisition' What Players Can Expect Before November 18 Release Date
- Microsoft Promises A Better ‘Minecraft,’ Game To Come to Windows Phone
- The Pirate Bay Operations: 21 Virtual Machines Are Used To Run The File-sharing Website
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- G20 Summit in Nov: No Consensus to Bar Russia, Putin Open to Attend in Australia