Rupee Falls ahead of Interim Budget
February 17, 2014 3:19 PM EST
The rupee is trading lower at 61.96/97 from its close of 61.9250/9350 on Friday ahead of the interim budget presentation due to start at 11 am.
A cashier counts Indian rupee currency notes inside a bank in Mumbai. Photo by: Reuters
Dealers largely expect Finance Minister P. Chidambaram to stick to his fiscal deficit aim of 4.8 pct this FY; will also look at market borrowing numbers for FY15.
"Big expenditure numbers will be negative for the rupee," says a dealer with a state-run bank.
Traders will also watch domestic stock and debt markets for clues on the direction of foreign fund flows.
Most Asian share markets edged higher on Monday in a nod to the resilience of Wall Street, but Japanese stocks struggled with both a stronger yen and a surprisingly weak reading on economic growth.
Local shares up 0.5 percent.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Transfer News: Manchester United's Possible Transfer Options For This Season
Join the Conversation
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- James Foley: ISIS Demanded Multimillion Ransom, US Refused To Pay---Reports