Canada’s Eastern Provinces Advised to Brace for Extreme Cold Weather Following Winter Storm Blast
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 17, 2014 3:15 PM EST
Canadians living on the country's eastern provinces have been warned to take necessary precautions against extreme cold weather temperatures following Sunday's heavy snow and high winds.
Toronto issued extreme cold weather alerts, advising residents that temperatures are expected to plummet as much as below -15 C.
Mark Hughes (R) and son Emmet Hughes (L) toboggan during a snow storm in Toronto, December 14, 2013.
Temperatures in Toronto will drop to -16 C, but the wind chill will make it feel as low as -25 C, the National Post reported.
The massive and powerful storm on Sunday has brought dangerous driving conditions as roads turned icy. It likewise caused a number of power outages.
Jeremy March, a meteorologist with Environment Canada, said the storm was widespread. Its clouds covered about 2,500 kilometres, stretching from Labrador to Bermuda. "It was quite a massive system," he said.
The storm dumped significant amounts of snow in eastern New Brunswick, from 41 centimetres in Bathurst to 31 centimetres in Moncton.
About 4,800 customers experienced power outages on Sunday morning, which later ballooned to 7,800 in the evening as the storm passed over Cape Breton, according to Nova Scotia Power.
The massive storm also caused a multi-vehicle pileup that shut the Confederation Bridge which links Maritime provinces New Brunswick and P.E.I.
At least five vehicles on the P.E.I. side of the bridge were involved in the pileup due to deteriorating road conditions and near-zero visibility. No one was reported injured.
"It's been a very busy winter, much busier than the past three or four winters. Hopefully things start to slow down soon because we're getting tired of it," Mr March said.
Video Source? YouTube/ Albert Carter
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS