Canada’s Eastern Provinces Advised to Brace for Extreme Cold Weather Following Winter Storm Blast
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 17, 2014 3:15 PM EST
Canadians living on the country's eastern provinces have been warned to take necessary precautions against extreme cold weather temperatures following Sunday's heavy snow and high winds.
Toronto issued extreme cold weather alerts, advising residents that temperatures are expected to plummet as much as below -15 C.
Mark Hughes (R) and son Emmet Hughes (L) toboggan during a snow storm in Toronto, December 14, 2013.
Temperatures in Toronto will drop to -16 C, but the wind chill will make it feel as low as -25 C, the National Post reported.
The massive and powerful storm on Sunday has brought dangerous driving conditions as roads turned icy. It likewise caused a number of power outages.
Jeremy March, a meteorologist with Environment Canada, said the storm was widespread. Its clouds covered about 2,500 kilometres, stretching from Labrador to Bermuda. "It was quite a massive system," he said.
The storm dumped significant amounts of snow in eastern New Brunswick, from 41 centimetres in Bathurst to 31 centimetres in Moncton.
About 4,800 customers experienced power outages on Sunday morning, which later ballooned to 7,800 in the evening as the storm passed over Cape Breton, according to Nova Scotia Power.
The massive storm also caused a multi-vehicle pileup that shut the Confederation Bridge which links Maritime provinces New Brunswick and P.E.I.
At least five vehicles on the P.E.I. side of the bridge were involved in the pileup due to deteriorating road conditions and near-zero visibility. No one was reported injured.
"It's been a very busy winter, much busier than the past three or four winters. Hopefully things start to slow down soon because we're getting tired of it," Mr March said.
Video Source? YouTube/ Albert Carter
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- NASA Astronomers Unearths Mysterious Signal That 'Could Not Be Explained By Known Physics' [Watch Video]
- Richard Norris' Successful Face Transplant Lands Him in GQ Cover [WATCH VIDEOS]
- Industrial Air Pollution May Help Search for Alien Life - Scientists
- Luxury Cruise: A 'Once In A Lifetime' Trip To Experience Environment Devastation in the Arctic
- Breaking Discovery: Industrial Pollution Reached South Pole by 19th Century
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date