Unexpected Win for Jennifer Lawrence, Takes Home Best Supporting Actress in BAFTA Awards
By Maychelle Ornos | February 17, 2014 3:12 PM EST
The sultry star of "American Hustle" Jennifer Lawrence was a no-show at the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) Awards even after taking the Best Supporting Actress trophy due to a filming commitment, according to The Guardian. Everyone thought that the award will go to "12 Years a Slave" star Lupita Nyong'o but Jennifer took everyone by surprise when she was announced as the winner for the said category. She might have stolen the spotlight on the red carpet too, if she were available to grace the event.
Actress Jennifer Lawrence of the film "American Hustle" arrives at the 20th annual Screen Actors Guild Awards in Los Angeles, California January 18, 2014.
The award for the best performance by an Actress in a Supporting role was presented by Leonardo DiCaprio who expressed his respect in the talents of the women in the said category. However, many expected that Lupita will win the category because she has already taken several awards in her performance in the "12 Years a Slave."
In behalf of Lawrence, the director of the "American Hustle" David O Russell accepted the award and gave the acceptance speech made by the actress herself. Lawrence thanked the writers, fellow actors and the director of the said movie.
The role played by Lawrence in the film is that of a neurotic housewife, Rosalyn Rosenfeld, in the crime comedy-drama film. She was the wife of Irving Rosenfeld which was played by Christian Bale. The reviews made by critics regarding the film were great, especially in Lawrence's performance.
Other women who have been nominated in the category were Sally Hawkins in "Blue Jasmine," Oprah Winfrey in "The Butler," and Julia Roberts in "August: Osage County." It was hard to predict who will the award but Lawrence was able to shine through these tough competitions. Everyone in Hollywood is keeping an eye on this remarkable star as she is just starting to let her star shine out.
Lawrence is about to wrap up the filming of the third installment of "The Hunger Games" and will be promoting the upcoming "X-Men: Days of Future Past" which will air on May 23, 2014. It seems that Lawrence may also begin another project with director David O Russell for a new movie but are yet to announce it.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos and Videos Leaked by 4Chan Hacker; Ariana Grande, Lea Michele, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kate Upton’s Also Included
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Spoilers: Find Out Whether AshLee Frazier And Graham Bunn Last Till The End; Meet The New Arrivals Of Episode 6
- ‘The Leftovers’: Episode 10 On Hold, Renewed For Season 2, Season 1 Finale Synopsis And Preview [VIDEO]
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How