Unexpected Win for Jennifer Lawrence, Takes Home Best Supporting Actress in BAFTA Awards
By Maychelle Ornos | February 17, 2014 3:12 PM EST
The sultry star of "American Hustle" Jennifer Lawrence was a no-show at the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) Awards even after taking the Best Supporting Actress trophy due to a filming commitment, according to The Guardian. Everyone thought that the award will go to "12 Years a Slave" star Lupita Nyong'o but Jennifer took everyone by surprise when she was announced as the winner for the said category. She might have stolen the spotlight on the red carpet too, if she were available to grace the event.
Actress Jennifer Lawrence of the film "American Hustle" arrives at the 20th annual Screen Actors Guild Awards in Los Angeles, California January 18, 2014.
The award for the best performance by an Actress in a Supporting role was presented by Leonardo DiCaprio who expressed his respect in the talents of the women in the said category. However, many expected that Lupita will win the category because she has already taken several awards in her performance in the "12 Years a Slave."
In behalf of Lawrence, the director of the "American Hustle" David O Russell accepted the award and gave the acceptance speech made by the actress herself. Lawrence thanked the writers, fellow actors and the director of the said movie.
The role played by Lawrence in the film is that of a neurotic housewife, Rosalyn Rosenfeld, in the crime comedy-drama film. She was the wife of Irving Rosenfeld which was played by Christian Bale. The reviews made by critics regarding the film were great, especially in Lawrence's performance.
Other women who have been nominated in the category were Sally Hawkins in "Blue Jasmine," Oprah Winfrey in "The Butler," and Julia Roberts in "August: Osage County." It was hard to predict who will the award but Lawrence was able to shine through these tough competitions. Everyone in Hollywood is keeping an eye on this remarkable star as she is just starting to let her star shine out.
Lawrence is about to wrap up the filming of the third installment of "The Hunger Games" and will be promoting the upcoming "X-Men: Days of Future Past" which will air on May 23, 2014. It seems that Lawrence may also begin another project with director David O Russell for a new movie but are yet to announce it.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Will Name Second Child Diana, Camilla Parker-Bowles Not Invited to Prince George’s Birthday - Reports
- Kanye West Abandons Kim Kardashian after 58 Days of Marriage – Reports
- Ian Somerhalder and Nina Dobrev Drama: Heartbroken The Vampire Diaries Actress Reacts to Nikki Reed Dating News—Report
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Things to Know About ‘Surprising, Explosive Ending’ of Andi Dorfman’s Season
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC One E8 (Plastic Variant of HTC One M8) with 5-Inch Display, Dual-SIM, 801 Processor and 2 GB RAM to Hit New Markets Soon
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports