Unexpected Win for Jennifer Lawrence, Takes Home Best Supporting Actress in BAFTA Awards
By Maychelle Ornos | February 17, 2014 3:12 PM EST
The sultry star of "American Hustle" Jennifer Lawrence was a no-show at the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) Awards even after taking the Best Supporting Actress trophy due to a filming commitment, according to The Guardian. Everyone thought that the award will go to "12 Years a Slave" star Lupita Nyong'o but Jennifer took everyone by surprise when she was announced as the winner for the said category. She might have stolen the spotlight on the red carpet too, if she were available to grace the event.
Actress Jennifer Lawrence of the film "American Hustle" arrives at the 20th annual Screen Actors Guild Awards in Los Angeles, California January 18, 2014.
The award for the best performance by an Actress in a Supporting role was presented by Leonardo DiCaprio who expressed his respect in the talents of the women in the said category. However, many expected that Lupita will win the category because she has already taken several awards in her performance in the "12 Years a Slave."
In behalf of Lawrence, the director of the "American Hustle" David O Russell accepted the award and gave the acceptance speech made by the actress herself. Lawrence thanked the writers, fellow actors and the director of the said movie.
The role played by Lawrence in the film is that of a neurotic housewife, Rosalyn Rosenfeld, in the crime comedy-drama film. She was the wife of Irving Rosenfeld which was played by Christian Bale. The reviews made by critics regarding the film were great, especially in Lawrence's performance.
Other women who have been nominated in the category were Sally Hawkins in "Blue Jasmine," Oprah Winfrey in "The Butler," and Julia Roberts in "August: Osage County." It was hard to predict who will the award but Lawrence was able to shine through these tough competitions. Everyone in Hollywood is keeping an eye on this remarkable star as she is just starting to let her star shine out.
Lawrence is about to wrap up the filming of the third installment of "The Hunger Games" and will be promoting the upcoming "X-Men: Days of Future Past" which will air on May 23, 2014. It seems that Lawrence may also begin another project with director David O Russell for a new movie but are yet to announce it.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Shocking Inside Stories Of Prince Charles and Princess Diana Revealed By Former Press Officer
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers For Sept. 22-26, 2014: Consequences Of The Crichton-Clark Blast
- Another Celebrity Nude Photo Leak: Naked Pics Of Liam Payne And Kim Kardashian Uploaded Online
- Ryan Gosling And Eva Mendes Gushes Over Newborn Daughter
- Nude Photo Leak: Kim Kardashian, Vanessa Hudgens, Hope Solo Latest Victims Of Hacking Attack, Twitter Explodes With Reactions 'Not' In Support Of Kardashian -- Reports