Unexpected Win for Jennifer Lawrence, Takes Home Best Supporting Actress in BAFTA Awards
By Maychelle Ornos | February 17, 2014 3:12 PM EST
The sultry star of "American Hustle" Jennifer Lawrence was a no-show at the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) Awards even after taking the Best Supporting Actress trophy due to a filming commitment, according to The Guardian. Everyone thought that the award will go to "12 Years a Slave" star Lupita Nyong'o but Jennifer took everyone by surprise when she was announced as the winner for the said category. She might have stolen the spotlight on the red carpet too, if she were available to grace the event.
Actress Jennifer Lawrence of the film "American Hustle" arrives at the 20th annual Screen Actors Guild Awards in Los Angeles, California January 18, 2014.
The award for the best performance by an Actress in a Supporting role was presented by Leonardo DiCaprio who expressed his respect in the talents of the women in the said category. However, many expected that Lupita will win the category because she has already taken several awards in her performance in the "12 Years a Slave."
In behalf of Lawrence, the director of the "American Hustle" David O Russell accepted the award and gave the acceptance speech made by the actress herself. Lawrence thanked the writers, fellow actors and the director of the said movie.
The role played by Lawrence in the film is that of a neurotic housewife, Rosalyn Rosenfeld, in the crime comedy-drama film. She was the wife of Irving Rosenfeld which was played by Christian Bale. The reviews made by critics regarding the film were great, especially in Lawrence's performance.
Other women who have been nominated in the category were Sally Hawkins in "Blue Jasmine," Oprah Winfrey in "The Butler," and Julia Roberts in "August: Osage County." It was hard to predict who will the award but Lawrence was able to shine through these tough competitions. Everyone in Hollywood is keeping an eye on this remarkable star as she is just starting to let her star shine out.
Lawrence is about to wrap up the filming of the third installment of "The Hunger Games" and will be promoting the upcoming "X-Men: Days of Future Past" which will air on May 23, 2014. It seems that Lawrence may also begin another project with director David O Russell for a new movie but are yet to announce it.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS