Indonesia Reclaims Normalcy, Reopens Airports After Volcanic Eruption
February 17, 2014 2:49 PM EST
Indonesia has started to claim normalcy and control as it reopened on Sunday the airports closed on Java island following Mount Kelud's eruption on Thursday.
Authorities have reopened the airports at Malang City, Cilacap, Semarang, Bandung and Surabaya. The airport in Solo may reopen Monday while Yogyakarta airport may resume on Tuesday.
"We were informed by the volcanology agency this morning that no more powerful eruptions are expected. So it is safe to fly and flights can resume. We will issue an update via notice to airmen," Herry Bakti, Transport Ministry director-general of aviation, said on Saturday.
A total of 332 flights were cancelled on Friday at Surabaya, 28 at Solo, 110 at Yogyakarta, 76 at Semarang, 16 at Malang, and 24 at Bandung.
Garuda Indonesia, the country's flag-carrier, said most flight routes had resumed, except for Solo and Yogyakarta.
Virgin Australia had resumed its normal flight schedules on Sunday. It said it would check on Monday if it should already resume flights to Cook Islands in the Pacific Ocean and to Christmas Island in the Indian Ocean. The Australian carrier resumed on Saturday its flights to Bali and Thailand.
The 1,731-metre Mount Kelud, dormant since 2007, started erupting on Thursday night, sending plumes of ash, rocks and gas 3km into the atmosphere. It ejected 80 million cubic meters of ash into the sky.
At least four people have been confirmed dead on Saturday, the latest of which was a 97-year-old woman who died from breathing difficulties. Some 56,089 people are currently reside in temporary shelters.
Mount Kelud is one of 130 active volcanoes in Indonesia. The volcano is on the Pacific Ring of Fire, a belt of seismic activity running around the basin of the Pacific Ocean.
Since 1500, Mount Kelud has claimed more than 15,000 lives, including 10,000 deaths in a 1568 eruption.
Video Source: YouTube/ADRENALINEJUNKY -JASON HENDRICKS
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones