Samsung Galaxy S5 Prime and Standard Models Show Up: Killer Features and Models to Expect
By Precious Silva | February 17, 2014 2:06 PM EST
Samsung has been popular for releasing multiple variants of its products. For instance, the company released several versions of the Samsung Galaxy S4 including S4 Active, S4 Zoom and S4 Black Edition. It seems the company will be doing the same thing for its upcoming flagship phone, the Samsung Galaxy S5. According to recent reports, the Samsung Galaxy S5 will be available in two variants: Galaxy S5 Prime and Galaxy S5 Standard. What does each model offer? Which is better?
A Samsung Electronics' Galaxy S4 (front) and Apple's iPhone 5 smartphones are seen in this picture illustration taken in Seoul May 13, 2013.
It did not surprise the market when reports about two models of Samsung Galaxy S5 showed up on Antutu benchmark database. The models are Samsung SM-G900R4 (US Cellular) and a SM-G900H (Europe). Despite supposedly being both S5 models, the two units reportedly have extremely different specs according to their benchmarks. It appears Samsung is trying to differentiate its models even more while having an umbrella series.
According to their benchmarks, the SM-G900R4 (US Cellular) model features a Snapdragon 800 processor, 2K display, 32GB internal memory, 3GB RAM, 13MP primary camera and 2MP front camera. The other model, on other hand, runs on an Exynos 5422 octa-core processor and features 1080p display, 16GB internal memory and 2GB RAM.
The list of specs for both models emphasize Samsung's reported plan to offer a "Prime" model and a "Standard" unit. According to Antutu benchmark results, when compared against each other, the European model performed better. Analysts think the Exynos processor and lesser pixels allowed the phone to perform better.
Samsung will need additional time to work on its software according to the benchmarkets. Phandroid listed a number of devices that other regions should watch out in relation to the Samsung Galaxy S5:
- SM-G9006V_CHN_CHN (China)
- SM-G9008V_CHN_ZM (China)
- SM-G9009D_CHN_CTC (China)
- SM-G900A_NA_ATT (AT & T)
- SM-G900D_JPN_DCM (Japan)
- SM-G900F_EUR_XX (Europe)
- SM-G900H_EUR_XX (Europe)
- SM-G900I_SEA_XSA (Asia)
- SM-G900J_JPN_KDI (Japan)
- SM-G900K_KOR_KTC (South Korea)
- SM-G900L_KOR_LGT (South Korea)
- SM-G900M_LA_VF (Vodafone)
- SM-G900P_NA_SPR (Sprint)
- SM-G900R4_NA_USC (US Cellular)
- SM-G900S_KOR_SKC (South Korea)
- SM-G900T_NA_TMB (T-Mobile)
- SM-G900V_NA_VZW (Verizon)
- SM-G900W8_NA_BMC (BMC)
People will learn more about the models and Samsung Galaxy S5 in general during Samsung's Unpacked event this February 24. The event will be held in Barcelona, Spain similar to the Mobile World Congress 2014. Samsung will get a good head start from Apple as the iPhone 6 will come out later this year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report