Lorde Wants ‘Royals’ Off Airwaves With Good Reason
By Anne Lu | February 17, 2014 1:54 PM EST
Lorde wants “Royals” to be pulled from the radio, but only because she fears her fans would tire of her too quickly. The 17-year-old Grammy Award-winning artist wishes to give listeners a break from her chart-topping song so they would still love her when she releases new material.
“I want to let people stop hearing Lorde on the radio all the time because it’s kind of crazy at the moment,” she told V Magazine in an interview.
“I’d like to give people a little bit of breathing room before I unleash something different.”
“Royals” won Lorde Song of the Year and Best Pop Solo Performance at the Grammy Awards in January. It has topped both local charts in New Zealand and various international charts, including the Billboard Hot 100 chart, wherein it stayed for nine consecutive weeks.
Also from her V magazine interview, Lorde talked about being portrayed as an “anti-Miley,” but she claimed that she’s not really “anti” anyone. However, she admitted that she is more partial to older people.
“I’ve always hung out with people older than me, with my parents’ friends, because I appreciated the conversation. And even now, although I have heaps of friends in high school, I also hang out with a lot of older people. And sometimes with them I’m like, ‘God, this is boring!’ But it means that I get to have these stimulating encounters with people that I idolise, which is cool.”
As for being called the “voice of a generation,” the Auckland native wasn’t too pleased with that label. She also objected when she was informed that a writer referred to her as “the Nirvana of now.”
“Oh, come on!” Lorde protested. “I’m so sure many people will read that and be like, ‘F*** off!’”
Her full V Magazine interview will hit U.S. newsstands on February 27.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- 'Sylvester Stallone Dies In Horrible Car Accident’ Death Hoax Goes Viral
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoiler: Revelation Of Reason Why Penny, Leonard ‘Not’ Getting Married Soon
- Emmy Awards 2014: Where To Watch Live Online, Top Nominations [VIDEO]
- 'The Bachelorette' Update: Andi Dorfman And Josh Murray To Setup Career In Hollywood- Reports
- 'Castle' Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic's Kate Beckett to Rediscover Nathan Fillion's Rick Castle; 'Derrick Storm' Coming to ABC [VIDEO]
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Trending: Ice Bucket Challenge Replaced By Rubble Bucket Challenge By People Of Gaza
- US, Syria to Work Together to Vaporise ISIS
- European Central Bank Advises Action to Boost Demand and Employment In EU