Lorde Wants ‘Royals’ Off Airwaves With Good Reason
By Anne Lu | February 17, 2014 1:54 PM EST
Lorde wants “Royals” to be pulled from the radio, but only because she fears her fans would tire of her too quickly. The 17-year-old Grammy Award-winning artist wishes to give listeners a break from her chart-topping song so they would still love her when she releases new material.
“I want to let people stop hearing Lorde on the radio all the time because it’s kind of crazy at the moment,” she told V Magazine in an interview.
“I’d like to give people a little bit of breathing room before I unleash something different.”
“Royals” won Lorde Song of the Year and Best Pop Solo Performance at the Grammy Awards in January. It has topped both local charts in New Zealand and various international charts, including the Billboard Hot 100 chart, wherein it stayed for nine consecutive weeks.
Also from her V magazine interview, Lorde talked about being portrayed as an “anti-Miley,” but she claimed that she’s not really “anti” anyone. However, she admitted that she is more partial to older people.
“I’ve always hung out with people older than me, with my parents’ friends, because I appreciated the conversation. And even now, although I have heaps of friends in high school, I also hang out with a lot of older people. And sometimes with them I’m like, ‘God, this is boring!’ But it means that I get to have these stimulating encounters with people that I idolise, which is cool.”
As for being called the “voice of a generation,” the Auckland native wasn’t too pleased with that label. She also objected when she was informed that a writer referred to her as “the Nirvana of now.”
“Oh, come on!” Lorde protested. “I’m so sure many people will read that and be like, ‘F*** off!’”
Her full V Magazine interview will hit U.S. newsstands on February 27.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- NCIS Season 12 Spoilers: Fans Fear Cote de Pablo Not Coming Back, Tony DiNozzo Moving On from Ziva David
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Report: Duchess Expecting a Baby Girl, Prince William Wants 3 Kids [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown