Lorde Wants ‘Royals’ Off Airwaves With Good Reason
By Anne Lu | February 17, 2014 1:54 PM EST
Lorde wants “Royals” to be pulled from the radio, but only because she fears her fans would tire of her too quickly. The 17-year-old Grammy Award-winning artist wishes to give listeners a break from her chart-topping song so they would still love her when she releases new material.
“I want to let people stop hearing Lorde on the radio all the time because it’s kind of crazy at the moment,” she told V Magazine in an interview.
“I’d like to give people a little bit of breathing room before I unleash something different.”
“Royals” won Lorde Song of the Year and Best Pop Solo Performance at the Grammy Awards in January. It has topped both local charts in New Zealand and various international charts, including the Billboard Hot 100 chart, wherein it stayed for nine consecutive weeks.
Also from her V magazine interview, Lorde talked about being portrayed as an “anti-Miley,” but she claimed that she’s not really “anti” anyone. However, she admitted that she is more partial to older people.
“I’ve always hung out with people older than me, with my parents’ friends, because I appreciated the conversation. And even now, although I have heaps of friends in high school, I also hang out with a lot of older people. And sometimes with them I’m like, ‘God, this is boring!’ But it means that I get to have these stimulating encounters with people that I idolise, which is cool.”
As for being called the “voice of a generation,” the Auckland native wasn’t too pleased with that label. She also objected when she was informed that a writer referred to her as “the Nirvana of now.”
“Oh, come on!” Lorde protested. “I’m so sure many people will read that and be like, ‘F*** off!’”
Her full V Magazine interview will hit U.S. newsstands on February 27.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde’s Freedom: Hollywood People Oppose TPB Founder’s Imprisonment
- The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2 Spoilers: Curly Hair Bachelorette’s Exit In Episode 16, Blake Talks About Laurina And Why He Rubbed His Eye
- 'Dancing With The Stars' (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Week 2 Spoilers: Things To Expect; Find Out Which Choreographer Is Quitting
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Amazon Announces Kindle Fire HD 6, Kindle Fire HD 7 Tablets; Official Release Date Is Oct 2