Lorde Wants ‘Royals’ Off Airwaves With Good Reason
By Anne Lu | February 17, 2014 1:54 PM EST
Lorde wants “Royals” to be pulled from the radio, but only because she fears her fans would tire of her too quickly. The 17-year-old Grammy Award-winning artist wishes to give listeners a break from her chart-topping song so they would still love her when she releases new material.
“I want to let people stop hearing Lorde on the radio all the time because it’s kind of crazy at the moment,” she told V Magazine in an interview.
“I’d like to give people a little bit of breathing room before I unleash something different.”
“Royals” won Lorde Song of the Year and Best Pop Solo Performance at the Grammy Awards in January. It has topped both local charts in New Zealand and various international charts, including the Billboard Hot 100 chart, wherein it stayed for nine consecutive weeks.
Also from her V magazine interview, Lorde talked about being portrayed as an “anti-Miley,” but she claimed that she’s not really “anti” anyone. However, she admitted that she is more partial to older people.
“I’ve always hung out with people older than me, with my parents’ friends, because I appreciated the conversation. And even now, although I have heaps of friends in high school, I also hang out with a lot of older people. And sometimes with them I’m like, ‘God, this is boring!’ But it means that I get to have these stimulating encounters with people that I idolise, which is cool.”
As for being called the “voice of a generation,” the Auckland native wasn’t too pleased with that label. She also objected when she was informed that a writer referred to her as “the Nirvana of now.”
“Oh, come on!” Lorde protested. “I’m so sure many people will read that and be like, ‘F*** off!’”
Her full V Magazine interview will hit U.S. newsstands on February 27.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Jurassic World’ Apatosaurus, Triceratops And T-Rex Revealed
- New Couple Alert: Nina Dobrev Moves On From Ian Somerhalder; 'The Vampire Diaries' Actress 'Hooking Up' With Co-Star Chris Wood—Report
- ‘The Voice’ Season 7 (2014) Finals/ Finale Results: Find Out Who Could Be The Winner—Predictions Based on iTunes Chart Rankings
- ‘The Voice’ Season 7 Winner Revealed: Celebs And Eliminated Contestants React Plus Who Will Mentor In Season 8
- ‘Guardians of the Galaxy 2’ Director Says Yondu Is A ‘Big Softie’ When It Comes To Peter Quill