Lorde Wants ‘Royals’ Off Airwaves With Good Reason
By Anne Lu | February 17, 2014 1:54 PM EST
Lorde wants “Royals” to be pulled from the radio, but only because she fears her fans would tire of her too quickly. The 17-year-old Grammy Award-winning artist wishes to give listeners a break from her chart-topping song so they would still love her when she releases new material.
“I want to let people stop hearing Lorde on the radio all the time because it’s kind of crazy at the moment,” she told V Magazine in an interview.
“I’d like to give people a little bit of breathing room before I unleash something different.”
“Royals” won Lorde Song of the Year and Best Pop Solo Performance at the Grammy Awards in January. It has topped both local charts in New Zealand and various international charts, including the Billboard Hot 100 chart, wherein it stayed for nine consecutive weeks.
Also from her V magazine interview, Lorde talked about being portrayed as an “anti-Miley,” but she claimed that she’s not really “anti” anyone. However, she admitted that she is more partial to older people.
“I’ve always hung out with people older than me, with my parents’ friends, because I appreciated the conversation. And even now, although I have heaps of friends in high school, I also hang out with a lot of older people. And sometimes with them I’m like, ‘God, this is boring!’ But it means that I get to have these stimulating encounters with people that I idolise, which is cool.”
As for being called the “voice of a generation,” the Auckland native wasn’t too pleased with that label. She also objected when she was informed that a writer referred to her as “the Nirvana of now.”
“Oh, come on!” Lorde protested. “I’m so sure many people will read that and be like, ‘F*** off!’”
Her full V Magazine interview will hit U.S. newsstands on February 27.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Rob Kardashian's Ex-Girlfriend Adrienne Bailon FInally Removes Cheating Reality Star's Name from Her Butt
- Queen Elizabeth and Kate Middleton Clash Again: Duchess Scared of Difficult Pregnancy, Adopting Second 'Royal' Baby - Reports
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date