Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 2/17/14
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | February 17, 2014 1:34 PM EST
The Australian share market has started the trading week on a positive note, after gaining 3.5 per cent over the course of last week.
A man is reflected in a window as he walks past the indicator boards at the Australian Stock Exchange in Sydney August 11, 2011.
At lunchtime in the East, the All Ordinaries Index (XAO) is firmer by 0.2 per cent.
On Friday in the US, markets recorded solid gains as investors ignored weak economic data and took a more positive view on equities.
On our market, most of the banks are moving higher, with the exception of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia (CBA). Its share price has fallen 2.2 per cent to $74.35 as it pays out a $1.83 per share dividend.
Global manufacturer Bradken Limited (BKN) is also trading without rights to its 15 cent per share dividend.
Engineering and property services group UGL (UGL) has increased its first half profit by 13.5 per cent to $29.5 million while revenue rose 5.6 per cent to $1.99 billion. UGL says it has received takeover offers for its DTZ property services business and will not pay an interim dividend in order to preserve cash. UGL shares fell 5.7 per cent today to $6.675.
Bendigo and Adelaide Bank (BEN) lifted its first half profit by almost 10 per cent after lower funding costs helped improve its margins. Cash profit came in at $185.9 million, up from $169.7 million a year ago. Lower funding costs helped lift the bank's margins. BEN shares rose 1.2 per cent at lunchtime to $11.86.
Health and safety protection maker Ansell (ANN) shares are down 5 per cent to $18.34 after admitting currency fluctuations hurt its 1H profit.
On the market overall, a total of 817 million shares changed hands, worth $1.8 billion. 514 were up, 300 were down and 300 were unchanged.
At 12pm AEDT the Aussie was buying US90.46c.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday August 28, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday August 29, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon August 29, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning August 29, 2014
- Analyst: Slowdown in Home Prices is Good, the Final Stage to Economic Recovery
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Better Market Your Uranium Someplace Else, Japan Appetite No Longer Huge as Before – Former PM Tells Australia Queensland Premier Campbell Newman