Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 2/17/14
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | February 17, 2014 1:34 PM EST
The Australian share market has started the trading week on a positive note, after gaining 3.5 per cent over the course of last week.
A man is reflected in a window as he walks past the indicator boards at the Australian Stock Exchange in Sydney August 11, 2011.
At lunchtime in the East, the All Ordinaries Index (XAO) is firmer by 0.2 per cent.
On Friday in the US, markets recorded solid gains as investors ignored weak economic data and took a more positive view on equities.
On our market, most of the banks are moving higher, with the exception of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia (CBA). Its share price has fallen 2.2 per cent to $74.35 as it pays out a $1.83 per share dividend.
Global manufacturer Bradken Limited (BKN) is also trading without rights to its 15 cent per share dividend.
Engineering and property services group UGL (UGL) has increased its first half profit by 13.5 per cent to $29.5 million while revenue rose 5.6 per cent to $1.99 billion. UGL says it has received takeover offers for its DTZ property services business and will not pay an interim dividend in order to preserve cash. UGL shares fell 5.7 per cent today to $6.675.
Bendigo and Adelaide Bank (BEN) lifted its first half profit by almost 10 per cent after lower funding costs helped improve its margins. Cash profit came in at $185.9 million, up from $169.7 million a year ago. Lower funding costs helped lift the bank's margins. BEN shares rose 1.2 per cent at lunchtime to $11.86.
Health and safety protection maker Ansell (ANN) shares are down 5 per cent to $18.34 after admitting currency fluctuations hurt its 1H profit.
On the market overall, a total of 817 million shares changed hands, worth $1.8 billion. 514 were up, 300 were down and 300 were unchanged.
At 12pm AEDT the Aussie was buying US90.46c.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Unidentified Benefactor Offers $30M Reward For Identity Of MH 17 Bombers; MAS Criticises Kiwi Author For Suggesting MH 370 Pilot Plotted Death Of Passengers & Crew
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 19, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning September 19, 2014
- Global Markets Overview – September 19, 2014
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown