Intoxicated Passenger Faces Criminal Charges After Getting Booted Out of London-Bound American Airlines
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 17, 2014 1:26 PM EST
The bankruptcy of American Airlines parent AMR Corp., among other issues, is taking the jet leasing industry for a spin
The American Airlines Flight 86 was forced to make an emergency landing over the weekend in Newfoundland, Canada, because Derek Olson became unruly and would not follow crew instructions. There were 187 other passengers aboard the Boeing 777.
The Global Post, citing Constable Sheldon Walsh, said the unruly Mr Olson was intoxicated, cursing and arguing with other passengers.
Mr Olson would not listen to flight crew, refused to stay in his seat, and became violent, eventually damaging a plane seat.
"He was intoxicated on the flight and causing some issues to the flight crew there, and was detained by the flight crew with the help of some passengers," Constable J.B. Clermont of the Gander Detachment of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police said.
Kent Powell, airline spokesman, said refusing to follow instructions on a flight, even as simple as remaining seated, is a criminal offense.
The plane made its emergency landing just after midnight at Gander International Airport.
The flight immediately proceeded to its destination once the unruly passenger was removed. It landed in London on early Sunday.
Mr Olson is scheduled to appear on Tuesday before the Gander provincial court for a bail hearing.
Mr Clermont said Mr Olson faces charges of mischief, causing a disturbance and, under the Canadian Aeronautics Act, endangering an operation of a flight.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Forced Marriages And Child Brides Rampant In Australia: Police Said
- Singapore Top Court Maintains Law Criminalising Gay Sex
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Ebola Divides The US: More States Begin Applying Stricter Guidelines Than What CDC Imposed
- Roast Busters Scandal Investigation: No Charges Filed
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery