Intoxicated Passenger Faces Criminal Charges After Getting Booted Out of London-Bound American Airlines
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 17, 2014 1:26 PM EST
The bankruptcy of American Airlines parent AMR Corp., among other issues, is taking the jet leasing industry for a spin
The American Airlines Flight 86 was forced to make an emergency landing over the weekend in Newfoundland, Canada, because Derek Olson became unruly and would not follow crew instructions. There were 187 other passengers aboard the Boeing 777.
The Global Post, citing Constable Sheldon Walsh, said the unruly Mr Olson was intoxicated, cursing and arguing with other passengers.
Mr Olson would not listen to flight crew, refused to stay in his seat, and became violent, eventually damaging a plane seat.
"He was intoxicated on the flight and causing some issues to the flight crew there, and was detained by the flight crew with the help of some passengers," Constable J.B. Clermont of the Gander Detachment of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police said.
Kent Powell, airline spokesman, said refusing to follow instructions on a flight, even as simple as remaining seated, is a criminal offense.
The plane made its emergency landing just after midnight at Gander International Airport.
The flight immediately proceeded to its destination once the unruly passenger was removed. It landed in London on early Sunday.
Mr Olson is scheduled to appear on Tuesday before the Gander provincial court for a bail hearing.
Mr Clermont said Mr Olson faces charges of mischief, causing a disturbance and, under the Canadian Aeronautics Act, endangering an operation of a flight.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Move Over, Jeremy Meeks; Brazil Has A Handsome Crook With 39 Murders On Record
- Producers Allowed to Sue ‘Femme Fatales’ Actress Anne Greene For Refusing Nude Scenes
- Islamic State: Aussie Terrorism Suspect Was In Same Video When Runaway Teenager Threatened PM Abbott
- Islamic State: From Beheading Men, IS Moves To Stoning Adulteress To Death
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report