Intoxicated Passenger Faces Criminal Charges After Getting Booted Out of London-Bound American Airlines
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 17, 2014 1:26 PM EST
The bankruptcy of American Airlines parent AMR Corp., among other issues, is taking the jet leasing industry for a spin
The American Airlines Flight 86 was forced to make an emergency landing over the weekend in Newfoundland, Canada, because Derek Olson became unruly and would not follow crew instructions. There were 187 other passengers aboard the Boeing 777.
The Global Post, citing Constable Sheldon Walsh, said the unruly Mr Olson was intoxicated, cursing and arguing with other passengers.
Mr Olson would not listen to flight crew, refused to stay in his seat, and became violent, eventually damaging a plane seat.
"He was intoxicated on the flight and causing some issues to the flight crew there, and was detained by the flight crew with the help of some passengers," Constable J.B. Clermont of the Gander Detachment of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police said.
Kent Powell, airline spokesman, said refusing to follow instructions on a flight, even as simple as remaining seated, is a criminal offense.
The plane made its emergency landing just after midnight at Gander International Airport.
The flight immediately proceeded to its destination once the unruly passenger was removed. It landed in London on early Sunday.
Mr Olson is scheduled to appear on Tuesday before the Gander provincial court for a bail hearing.
Mr Clermont said Mr Olson faces charges of mischief, causing a disturbance and, under the Canadian Aeronautics Act, endangering an operation of a flight.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- Schoolies 2014 Wrap Up: Ecstasy, Binge Drinking, Arrests—Australia's Teenage Culture Revealed
- Church Of God In Christ To Sue ‘I'm Not Gay No More’ Star Andrew Caldwell Over Album On iTunes
- No Punishment For Whistleblower Of Frances Abbott’s Scholarship
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]