Tim Tam Flies High in its 50-year Celebration
By Athena Yenko | February 17, 2014 1:24 PM EST
"The humble Tim Tam inspires love beyond reason in Australians and has done for 50 years now. What has elevated it to icon status is difficult to articulate, but we know that in the hearts of Aussies it's more than just a chocolate biscuit," Susanna Polycarpou, the marketing director of Arnott's Choc/Sweet described the biscuit.
She said that the indulgence to the biscuit was not just because of its delicious taste, but it was also because people create bond when they open and share packs of Tim Tam.
"It's definitely the unique and irresistible Tim Tam layers that set us apart. We think it's also about the connections made when you open a pack and share with friends or family."
For its 50-year celebration, Arnott's partnered with QantasLink aircraft to fly with a Tim Tam livery drawn in the aircraft's body. The aircraft will take people from different countries to the remote Queensland town of Winton.
Australians open and share 45 million packs of Tim Tam yearly, according to the Daily Telegraph.
And if people will put out Tim Tams in a row, it would be enough to go From Sydney to Ayers Rock and back.
How Tim Tam is Made
1. For the cookie dough, Sugar, flour, colours and flavours are mixed in a large hopper for 20 minutes.
2. The mixture is then blended with high velocity through the conveyor - Biscuits cut 1mm thick, 11 holes punched, baked for 90m through six gas-fired ovens, cooled by freezing air, biscuits flipped and filled with cream, bathed in a pool of chocolate, another dose of freezing air, choirs of robotic arms picking and filling.
Grant Turner, a mixer and member of the quality control at the factory of Tim Tam is proud of his job.
"I've gone from savoury to sweet and I would say it is a pretty good trade. It is a fantastic product. The texture of each part of the product is amazing. People are proud to work here, you only have to look at the long service here," said Mr Turner.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Texas Man Selling Condo With ‘Funniest and Most Revealing Ad’
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- The Mentalist Season 7 Spoilers: CBS Skips Simon Baker's Patrick Jane in Fall Schedule, Josie Loren Joins Cast
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Update: Maisie Williams Talks Arya Stark, Lady Stoneheart, and Surprises
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell