Sochi Olympics 2014: Russia vs Slovenia Men’s Hockey Game Helps Olympic Organisers Reach 1 Million Ticket Sales on Friday (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 17, 2014 1:14 PM EST
Winner Germany's Natalie Geisenberger (C), second-placed compatriot Tatjana Huefner (L) and Erin Hamlin of the U.S. celebrate on a podium after the women's singles luge event at the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics, at the Sanki Sliding Center in Rosa Khutor February 11, 2014. REUTERS/Arnd Wiegmann
Sochi Olympics 2014: Video of Lebanese Female Skier Jackie Chamoun Photo Shoot for Austrian Calendar More Explicit Than Pictures (VIDEOS)
Sochi Olympics 2014: Microchip in Passport Opens Door to Free Unli Molson Beer for All Canadian Olympians (VIDEOS)
YouTube/SNTV - Inside every story
More than a week after the Sochi Winter Games opened or almost halfway through, the games organisers finally breached the 1 million mark for ticket sales, Olympic officials announced on Friday.
ouTube/Report All News
Besides the hockey games, what draws sports fan in are the medal ceremonies after each event also held at the Olympic Park, particularly at the central plaza near the cauldron and flame. Over 500,000 fans have visited the place, said Dmitry Chernyshenko, chief executive of the Sochi Games organising committee.
However, a sports fan found the 1 million ticket sales not as a milestone but as an embarrassment. URU wrote in CTV News comment section: "It's rather embarrassing considering the population of that country is about 145 millions. That only shows no one there cares for the Olympics and its athletes no matter what country they are from. Look at the empty stadiums that's a true sign of the actual events. Only the athletes and their friends and family care for them. Besides it's a waste of tax payers money supporting an event that only makes a such athletes rich while the rest of the population is struggling."
However, poster Madranua called URU a sour grape.
But tweets about Sochi had breached the 9 million mark.
On Friday, Russia was shocked with the sudden retirement of figure skating champion Yevgeny Plushenko just when the men's super-combined ski even was to take place. Plushenko, who won two gold medals, quit from the men's short programme on Thursday due to a back injury.
Plushneko, 31, said, quoted by the Digital Journal, "Amateur sport is finished for me. Maybe not in the way that I wanted. But I leave with a gold medal, that is also great."
He was on a six-minute warm-up before the start of the event, which if he had won would make him the first man to get five Olympic figure skating medals. However, with two minutes and 25 seconds to go, he attempted a triple axel and stumbled and tried the jump again.
Russian Sports Minister Vitaly Mutko said, "Zhenya carried out the task at the Olympics. The task was to win the team competition and it was won. The health of the sportsman comes first. He has a serious back injury.
Here is Plushenko's final performance that earned him a gold medal.
With Plushenko's withdrawal, 19-year-old Japanese skater Yuzuru Hanyu set a new world record in the short programme with a 3.93-point lead against three-time world champion Patrick Chan of Canada.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Rafael Nadal Crowned as Most Popular Personality in Spain
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales