Sochi Olympics 2014: Russia vs Slovenia Men’s Hockey Game Helps Olympic Organisers Reach 1 Million Ticket Sales on Friday (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 17, 2014 1:14 PM EST
Winner Germany's Natalie Geisenberger (C), second-placed compatriot Tatjana Huefner (L) and Erin Hamlin of the U.S. celebrate on a podium after the women's singles luge event at the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics, at the Sanki Sliding Center in Rosa Khutor February 11, 2014. REUTERS/Arnd Wiegmann
Sochi Olympics 2014: Video of Lebanese Female Skier Jackie Chamoun Photo Shoot for Austrian Calendar More Explicit Than Pictures (VIDEOS)
Sochi Olympics 2014: Microchip in Passport Opens Door to Free Unli Molson Beer for All Canadian Olympians (VIDEOS)
YouTube/SNTV - Inside every story
More than a week after the Sochi Winter Games opened or almost halfway through, the games organisers finally breached the 1 million mark for ticket sales, Olympic officials announced on Friday.
ouTube/Report All News
Besides the hockey games, what draws sports fan in are the medal ceremonies after each event also held at the Olympic Park, particularly at the central plaza near the cauldron and flame. Over 500,000 fans have visited the place, said Dmitry Chernyshenko, chief executive of the Sochi Games organising committee.
However, a sports fan found the 1 million ticket sales not as a milestone but as an embarrassment. URU wrote in CTV News comment section: "It's rather embarrassing considering the population of that country is about 145 millions. That only shows no one there cares for the Olympics and its athletes no matter what country they are from. Look at the empty stadiums that's a true sign of the actual events. Only the athletes and their friends and family care for them. Besides it's a waste of tax payers money supporting an event that only makes a such athletes rich while the rest of the population is struggling."
However, poster Madranua called URU a sour grape.
But tweets about Sochi had breached the 9 million mark.
On Friday, Russia was shocked with the sudden retirement of figure skating champion Yevgeny Plushenko just when the men's super-combined ski even was to take place. Plushenko, who won two gold medals, quit from the men's short programme on Thursday due to a back injury.
Plushneko, 31, said, quoted by the Digital Journal, "Amateur sport is finished for me. Maybe not in the way that I wanted. But I leave with a gold medal, that is also great."
He was on a six-minute warm-up before the start of the event, which if he had won would make him the first man to get five Olympic figure skating medals. However, with two minutes and 25 seconds to go, he attempted a triple axel and stumbled and tried the jump again.
Russian Sports Minister Vitaly Mutko said, "Zhenya carried out the task at the Olympics. The task was to win the team competition and it was won. The health of the sportsman comes first. He has a serious back injury.
Here is Plushenko's final performance that earned him a gold medal.
With Plushenko's withdrawal, 19-year-old Japanese skater Yuzuru Hanyu set a new world record in the short programme with a 3.93-point lead against three-time world champion Patrick Chan of Canada.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manchester United News: Man Utd. vs QPR Preview
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Reports Indicate Mayweather Has 2 Girlfriends: Bad Medina & Liza Hernandez
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date