Winter’s Tale Review: A Disappointing Depiction of ‘Magic’ of Romance on Screen
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | February 17, 2014 1:10 PM EST
Winter's Tale has been one of the most anticipated movies of the year. The expectations were even higher as the romantic movie was chosen to be released on the eve of the Valentine's Day on Feb. 13. Here is how the movie has turned out to be.
Jessica Brown Findlay, Colin Farrell, Will Smith, Jennifer Connelly and Russell Crowe
Akiva Goldsman (Academy Award winning screenwriter for "A Beautiful Mind")
This is the love story of a thief named Peter Lake (Colin Farrell) and a terminally ill girl Beverly Penn (Jessica Brown Findlay). The interesting twist in the romance is caused by Pearly Soames (Russell Crowe) who is desperate to kill Peter.
All the actors in the movie did a commendable job in trying to be the character they are supposed to be. Certain scenes such as the first time Peter and Beverly meet over a cup of tea succeeds in establishing a simple but effective mood which flirts with sexual tension. The movie is full of "things of beauty" like Brown Findlay's lips or her nightgowns.
Mark Adams, the movie critic from The Sunday Mirror, blamed "Winter's Tale" for trying too hard. On the other hand, Canada AM critic Richard Crouse is harsher in his review as he called the movie "frustrating." He felt that there was no magic in the screenplay even though it was written by an Academy Award winning writer. Postmedia critic Katherine Monk does not find the movie to be "authentically human."
"Winter's Tale" may just remain in the history as a movie which had enormous possibilities but ended up focusing more on the special effect than the "real" magic on screen. The movie would have made a stronger impact if the makers worked more on writing a much more compact screenplay and a more realistic approach.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies