Radio Broadcasters Apologise For Fabricating False Story of Gay Couple Bashing on Air
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | February 17, 2014 11:17 AM EST
Two radio hosts from New York area admitted to fabricating a fictitious parent note that claimed chastising a gay couple over the birthday invitation of their child. The lie apparently grew up to have a "life of its own" as the broadcasters confessed that they had continued with the lie which was their brainchild.
Leeana Karlson and Steve Harper work for the pop music station of Long Island, WKJY aka K-98.3. They apologised on the Web site of the radio station for exploiting an utter lie. They wrote that the story was "totally fictitious" as they claimed that the incident had taken place with the knowledge of the ownership or the management of the station - Toronto Sun reported.
The discussion on the note took place on Wednesday in the morning show when the radio host-duo talked about a note on the Facebook page of the radio station - as reported by The Advocate. The note was apparently from a mother who wrote a gay couple, informing them that her son would not attend the birthday ceremony of their daughter since she did not endorse the kind of life they live. She was also not willing to get her son influenced by them, according to the note.
The note, which created outrage in the cyber community for all possible reasons, has now turned out to be fake. The note has also been removed from the Facebook page. The broadcasters claimed that their intention was to get people engaged in a "healthy discourse" about a topic which drew high passion for many. On the other hand, they apologised for perpetuating the "falsehood."
In "A Message From Steve & Leeana" on the Web site of the radio station, the broadcasters clearly admit that it was their idea to post the photo of the invitation card on the Facebook page. Additionally, they also invited comments from the followers. Ms Karlson and Mr Harper also admitted that they had made a mistake by misguiding the listeners into believing that it was a real incident.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Gay Community In Liberia Persecuted For Ebola; Church Leaders Call Virus 'Punishment' For Homosexuality
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'