Drake Sorry For Being ‘Disgusted’ Over Philip Seymour Hoffman Cover Replacement
By Anne Lu | February 17, 2014 8:26 AM EST
Drake is apologising for being “disgusted” at being replaced by Philip Seymour Hoffman. The Canadian rapper lashed out at Rolling Stone magazine for favouring the recently deceased actor or its cover feature over him.
The 27-year-old “Best I Ever Had” singer was supposed to be on the cover of the music magazine. According to TMZ, he finished his interview on January 28, with the photo shoot also completed before Hoffman died on February 2.
Drake was informed by the magazine that they were replacing him with Hoffman days before it released a teaser on his interview on Tuesday.
“I never commented on Yeezus for my interview portion of Rolling Stone. They also took my cover from me last minute and ran the issue,” he tweeted on Wednesday, adding, “I’m disgusted with that. RIP to Phillip Seymour Hoffman. All respect due. But the press is evil.”
Those tweets have since been deleted, but not before his followers and the media read them.
The reactions on social media over Drake’s outburst have been largely negative, with some people saying he has a bloated ego.
Early Sunday morning, Drake took the time to write his apology on his blog, explaining why he reacted that way.
“With today being the 5th anniversary of So Far Gone I figured it’s fitting to return to it’s [sic] place of its origin in order to clear the air about an extremely emotional day,” he began.
“I completely support and agree with Rolling Stone replacing me on the cover with the legendary Phillip Seymour Hoffman. He is one of the most incredible actors of our time and a man that deserves to be immortalised by this publication.
“My frustration stemmed from the way it was executed. The circumstances at hand are completely justifiable (on the magazines behalf), but I was not able to salvage my story or my photos and that was devastating. They ran the issue without giving me a choice to be in it or not.
“I would have waited until it was my time because I understand the magnitude of the cover they chose but I just wasn’t given that option and that made me feel violated. I apologise to anybody who took my initial comments out of context because in no way would I ever want to offend the Hoffman family or see myself as bigger than that moment.”
He continued that he was “forced out” of his character so he felt the need to react swiftly.
“I once again apologise to everybody who took my cover comments the wrong way. I respect Rolling stone for being willing to give a kid from Toronto a shot at the cover. I guess this is a day to learn and grow.”
He closed the note with “Sincerely, The Boy.”
Read his entire post here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron' Teaser Trailer: Fans' Cry At ‘Epic’ Footage, Vision Not Featured
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’