Drake Sorry For Being ‘Disgusted’ Over Philip Seymour Hoffman Cover Replacement
By Anne Lu | February 17, 2014 8:26 AM EST
Drake is apologising for being “disgusted” at being replaced by Philip Seymour Hoffman. The Canadian rapper lashed out at Rolling Stone magazine for favouring the recently deceased actor or its cover feature over him.
The 27-year-old “Best I Ever Had” singer was supposed to be on the cover of the music magazine. According to TMZ, he finished his interview on January 28, with the photo shoot also completed before Hoffman died on February 2.
Drake was informed by the magazine that they were replacing him with Hoffman days before it released a teaser on his interview on Tuesday.
“I never commented on Yeezus for my interview portion of Rolling Stone. They also took my cover from me last minute and ran the issue,” he tweeted on Wednesday, adding, “I’m disgusted with that. RIP to Phillip Seymour Hoffman. All respect due. But the press is evil.”
Those tweets have since been deleted, but not before his followers and the media read them.
The reactions on social media over Drake’s outburst have been largely negative, with some people saying he has a bloated ego.
Early Sunday morning, Drake took the time to write his apology on his blog, explaining why he reacted that way.
“With today being the 5th anniversary of So Far Gone I figured it’s fitting to return to it’s [sic] place of its origin in order to clear the air about an extremely emotional day,” he began.
“I completely support and agree with Rolling Stone replacing me on the cover with the legendary Phillip Seymour Hoffman. He is one of the most incredible actors of our time and a man that deserves to be immortalised by this publication.
“My frustration stemmed from the way it was executed. The circumstances at hand are completely justifiable (on the magazines behalf), but I was not able to salvage my story or my photos and that was devastating. They ran the issue without giving me a choice to be in it or not.
“I would have waited until it was my time because I understand the magnitude of the cover they chose but I just wasn’t given that option and that made me feel violated. I apologise to anybody who took my initial comments out of context because in no way would I ever want to offend the Hoffman family or see myself as bigger than that moment.”
He continued that he was “forced out” of his character so he felt the need to react swiftly.
“I once again apologise to everybody who took my cover comments the wrong way. I respect Rolling stone for being willing to give a kid from Toronto a shot at the cover. I guess this is a day to learn and grow.”
He closed the note with “Sincerely, The Boy.”
Read his entire post here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Han Solo's Super Star Destroyer, Costumes And Weapons
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’: Top 5 Revelations Of Season 8
- 'NCIS' Season 12 Spoilers: Ziva David Out, Tony's New Love Could be Stephanie Jacobsen's Leia; Troian Bellisario Teases 'Reunion' Photo
- 'X-Men: Apocalypse' : Wolverine's Costume's Leaked Image Hints to Traditional Look, Hugh Jackman to Play the Character Till Scripts Excite Him
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Tatooine Set Leaked, Reveals Tusken Raiders Huts
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features