Michael Dunn’s Trial: 5 Interesting Facts on ‘Loud Music’ Shooting Case, Including Jordan Davis’s Birthday on Sunday
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | February 16, 2014 7:11 PM EST
The Florida man, Jordan Davis involved in the 'loud music' shooting case was convicted on Saturday on four charges, including one for attempted second-degree murder. The jury, however, could not decide on the most serious charge of the first-degree murder tied to the death of 17-year-old Jordan Davis.
Michael Dunn returns to the courtroom during jury deliberations in his murder trial over the killing of Jordan Davis, in Jacksonville, Florida February 13, 2014.
The case that has become one of the most discussed ones of late, has many interesting facts to note including whether Dunn would now spend rest of his life in prison and that the teen who was shot in 2012 in this case, would have turned 19 on Sunday.
Let's take a look at the 5 interesting facts related to the case:
1. Life in prison?
Michael Dunn was found guilty on four charges. Three of the charges include 'attempted second-degree murder' which basically means that if there is no new trial, he will be behind bars for decades - most certainly for the rest of his life.
But Saturday night's conviction has been widely considered a 'mistrial' as there was no verdict on the first-degree murder charge. Prosecutors would now press for a new trial in Duval County.
The difference between first degree and second degree murder is that the former must include an 'intent to kill' - usually involves a premeditated murder; while the later would mean, killing without intend or premeditation.
But even without a final decision on the murder count, the 47-year-old Dunn is set to go behind bar for a very lengthy time. Each attempted second-degree murder conviction carries a minimum of 20 years prison sentence. Three counts would make it 60 years. So as Dunn's lawyer, Cory Strolla told reporters on Saturday: "You are looking at basically at life in prison. At 47 years old, that's a life sentence regardless of count one."
The question is: Why push for count one if he would already serve the rest of his life in prison? "Justice for Jordan Davis is as important as it is for any victim," CNN quoted State Attorney Angela Corey as saying. And that answers the question.
2. Michael Dunn's 'In-disbelief' Reaction
It is also interesting to note the reaction of Michael Dunn as the jury's decision became clear at about 7 pm on Saturday. Dunn looked ahead somberly with a frown in his face but no tears. His lawyer, Cory Strolla, told reporters later that his reaction means that he was "in disbelief".
It is easy to compare this to the day on which the shooting took place where he is accused of doing nothing for 6 hours after shooting the teen - and it was only hours later he had realized his deeds.
This takes us to a reminder of the entire episode.
3. 6 hours for realization?
The incident took place on 23 November 2012. Micheal Dunn had pulled into a gas station in Jacksonville after parking next to a red Durango full of teenagers. The teens who had pulled in for cigarettes and gum had the loud music on in their car- "rap crap" as Dunn called it - which appeared to be too disturbing for Dunn.
So he asked them to turn it down. Dunn claimed Davis threatened him and in a resulting brawl, the shooting took place. He said that he had seen a barrel of a gun sticking out of the car and had shot to pre-empt being injured himself.
But prosecutors argue that it was Dunn himself who had lost control and shot 10 bullets at the car over the music he disapproved of.
It is said that what he did next was surprising. After leaving the gas station, he drove 40 miles away in St. Augustine. No realization dawned upon him as he walked his dog, ordered a pizza, drank rum and cola and so forth. He never called police
It was only six hours later he learnt that he had killed Davis. That was when Dunn was said to be "crazy with grief".
4. Jordan Davis Would be 19 on Sunday
Jordan Davis who was killed in the incident would have turned 19 on Sunday as his birthday falls on 16 February. The Facebook page which condoles Davis' death has pleaded people to leave his family members alone to celebrate the late teen's birthday.
The R.I.P. Jordan Davis page posted a picture of David's childhood with his mother celebrating his birthday. "Tomorrow is Jordan's Birthday. All he wants is Justice," the page said on Saturday.
5. Echoes of Trayvon Martin and George Zimmerman
The case has been largely compared to George Zimmerman case for the sheer involvement of a victim who was black. People are quick to compare Dunn to George Zimmerman, who was ultimately acquitted of murder for the shooting of Trayvon martin in the same year.
The comparison that seems to have been drawn because of the fact that Dunn is white and the teenager who were shot at, including Davis, are black. Also, George Zimmerman had shot the 17-year old Martin just about 120 miles down the road in Sanford, Florida on 26 February 2012, only months before the 'loud music' shooting took place.
Martin's own parents were among people claiming that Davis' killing is another reminder of racial profiling in the US, CNN reported.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Reportedly Prohibits Camilla Parker-Bowles From ‘Seeing Her Family’ And Newborn
- Ebola in US: Stock Surge for Pharmaceutical Companies Working on Vaccine
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Local Syrians Have Mixed Reactions To US Airstrikes Against ISIS; Opposition 'Suspicious'
- Melbourne Wakes Up To Anti-Terror Raids: Seabrook Man Arrested For Funding Terrorist Organisation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build