Manny Pacquiao, Top-Rank Agree To 2-year, $75 Million Contract Extension Says Unconfirmed Source; Mayweather Fight Dead
By Lou Ramon Aguila | February 16, 2014 4:47 PM EST
Former pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao has reportedly agreed to a lucrative extension deal with Top-Rank promotions, triggering talk on the end of potential showdown with undefeated American fighter Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Boxer Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines smiles during a news conference in New York August 6, 2013. Pacquiao will fight Brandon Rios of the U.S. in a welterweight match at the Venetian Macao in Macau on November 24. REUTERS/SHANNON STAPLETON
Pacquiao, who is scheduled to fight Timothy Bradley Jr. for the WBC Welterweight Championship belt on April 12 at MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas, Nevada, has reportedly decided to stay under Bob Arum's turf for perhaps the remainder of his boxing career.
According to Boxing Socialist, the Filipino fighting congressman signed a two-year, $75 million contract with Top-Rank promotions, locking him up until 2016.
"Unconfirmed reports say that Manny Pacquiao has signed a two-year extension on his contract with Top Rank Promotions, and the deal is worth close to 75 million dollars. This should help him with his recent tax issues, if this deal is true," Karceno of Boxing Socialist reported on Thursday.
The writer stressed that the contract extension was still unconfirmed, but personnel within Top-Rank and Pacquiao's circle hasn't confirmed nor deny the report. "I tried to confirm this report, but due to what they call snakes in the grass, they don't want to disclose information on Pacquiao deal.
In the past there have been tampering and unethical moves in trying to pursue the talents of the Philippine superstar fighter," Karceno added.
Pacquiao's alleged contract extension with Top-Rank could a big blow for die-hard boxing fans salivating for the showdown between two of the best fighter in this generation.
Pacquiao, eight division world champion, has expressed his intention to fight Mayweather Jr. on any terms, including the stipulation on breaking away from Top-Rank's stable. Mayweather, whose current contract with Showtime Boxing ends in September of 2015, have four fights left with either Amir Khan or Marcos Mandana slated to be his opponent on May 3rd at MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas, Nevada.
"We shall wait and see if this deal is true and if it is, will this help or hinder a possible Floyd Mayweather Jr. clash," said Karceno.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Out There To Save His Two Favourite Ladies In Mid-season Finale
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change