Rape, Right-wing Protests and Pulping of book Overshadow Valentine's Day in India
By Johnlee Varghese | February 16, 2014 12:10 AM EST
Valentine's Day celebration in India was marred by reports of the rape of a minor girl in the Indian capital city. There were also incidents of attacks on couples by Right-wing groups that consider the idea of aping the 'western concept' of Valentine's Day a slur on Indian culture.
As per a report in PTI, a 17-year old girl was raped by a youth, who made the young girl skip school and took her out, instead to celebrate Valentine's Day.
The girl, who also happened to be celebrating her birthday, went along with the accused, to his friend's place. As per the police, the accused raped her repeatedly, till her condition deteriorated, following which he along with his friends took her to hospital. The accused then fled the scene.
A case has been registered against him for rape under Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act, police said.
In another incident on the Valentine's Day in Ahmedabad in Gujarat, the Right-wing activists, belonging to Bajrang Dal and Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP), threw rotten tomatoes at couples celebrating Valentine’s Day. However, no police case has been registered.
Such an incident, however, is not happening for the first time as now it has become a regular yearly practice, wherein Right-wing fanatics attack and vandalize shops selling Valentine's Day cards and other gift items as well as restaurants and hotels that organize parties for young lovers.
In most cases, the authorities simply look the other way, indirectly emboldening the vandals.
Valentine's Day in India this year, however, has more prominently been over-shadowed by the withdrawal of American academic Wendy Doniger's eminently readable book The Hindus: An Alternative History by Penguin India. It is being seen as the biggest defeat of the largest democracy in the world, where there has been a growing intolerance towards freedom of speech.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports