Rape, Right-wing Protests and Pulping of book Overshadow Valentine's Day in India
By Johnlee Varghese | February 16, 2014 12:10 AM EST
Valentine's Day celebration in India was marred by reports of the rape of a minor girl in the Indian capital city. There were also incidents of attacks on couples by Right-wing groups that consider the idea of aping the 'western concept' of Valentine's Day a slur on Indian culture.
As per a report in PTI, a 17-year old girl was raped by a youth, who made the young girl skip school and took her out, instead to celebrate Valentine's Day.
The girl, who also happened to be celebrating her birthday, went along with the accused, to his friend's place. As per the police, the accused raped her repeatedly, till her condition deteriorated, following which he along with his friends took her to hospital. The accused then fled the scene.
A case has been registered against him for rape under Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act, police said.
In another incident on the Valentine's Day in Ahmedabad in Gujarat, the Right-wing activists, belonging to Bajrang Dal and Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP), threw rotten tomatoes at couples celebrating Valentine’s Day. However, no police case has been registered.
Such an incident, however, is not happening for the first time as now it has become a regular yearly practice, wherein Right-wing fanatics attack and vandalize shops selling Valentine's Day cards and other gift items as well as restaurants and hotels that organize parties for young lovers.
In most cases, the authorities simply look the other way, indirectly emboldening the vandals.
Valentine's Day in India this year, however, has more prominently been over-shadowed by the withdrawal of American academic Wendy Doniger's eminently readable book The Hindus: An Alternative History by Penguin India. It is being seen as the biggest defeat of the largest democracy in the world, where there has been a growing intolerance towards freedom of speech.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Baby Corpses Found in Storage Locker in Canada
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- ISIS Taking U.S.-Airdropped Weapons An 'Embarrassment'; Another Yazidi Massacre Looming [VIDEO]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop