SpiceJet Posts Loss on High Fuel Costs and Weak Currency
February 15, 2014 7:11 PM EST
A passenger outside the SpiceJet Airlines ticket counter at the domestic airport on the outskirts of Agartala
Apart from market leader IndiGo, all carriers in the six-player market are loss-making - hit by expensive jet fuel as well as high taxes and airport fees. There has also been a price war in recent quarters with airlines offering big discounts.
SpiceJet, controlled by billionaire Kalanithi Maran's Sun Group, said it made a net loss of 1.73 billion rupees in its fiscal third quarter ended December, compared with a net profit of 1.02 billion rupees a year earlier.
The company, which sources have said is buying around 40 aircraft from Boeing Co (BA.N) in a deal valued at about $4 billion at list prices, had reported a record $90 million loss for the three months to September.
SpiceJet has not confirmed the aircraft order.
The airline is seen as a target for foreign investors after India loosened restrictions on investment by foreign airlines in Indian carriers. SpiceJet has reported interest from potential investors but has not named any.
Fuel costs rose 9 percent in the quarter from a year earlier, while the negative impact of a weaker rupee was 630 million rupees, the airline said.
Revenue from operations rose 14 percent to 17.96 billion rupees on the back of a 10 percent rise in passenger traffic. Passenger yields grew 3 percent on year, insufficient to offset an increase in costs, SpiceJet said.
Bigger rival Jet Airways(JET.NS) reported its fourth straight quarterly loss last week.
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Out There To Save His Two Favourite Ladies In Mid-season Finale
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- BHP Billiton To Turn Olympic Dam Mine To World’s 2nd Largest Copper Mine
- A Bearded Man Is Arresting UberX Drivers Across Sydney
- Kohl's Black Friday 2014 Online Deals Available Now Until Nov. 28, 2014 Including Free Shipping For Orders Worth $50 And More [WATCH VIDEO]
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change