Android KitKat Update to Rollout for HTC One Max in March, One Mini in April, Confirms Company
By Rohit KVN | February 15, 2014 6:52 PM EST
Customers look at HTC smartphones in a mobile phone shop in Taipei in this July 30, 2013 file photo. Taiwan's success at designing and mass producing must-have gadgets for branded rivals such as Apple Inc makes it tougher for its companies trying to launch aspirational consumer brands of their own. Ben Ho, marketing chief at smartphone maker HTC Corp , says his firm's shift from original design manufacturer (ODM) to branded company has been a challenge for marketing and messaging. REUTERS/Pichi Chuang/Files
American arm of HTC in an informal interaction (AMA: Ask Me Anything) with the members of the popular technology-discussion forum, Reddit, said that the updates for 'One Max' phablet and mid-range handset 'One Mini' are currently under works and is most likely to be released in March and April respectively.
"We already have 4.4 updates in the works for both mini and max devices and you can track the progress on our software updates page. You should see this land as early as March for the max and April for mini," said HTC USA Product Team.
That's not all; HTC has also made a promise that going forward, the company will release all major Android updates to the upcoming new flagship smartphones (at least in USA) for up to 2 years after the device's release date.
The statement stems from the public outcry over the company's last month announcement, which said HTC One X and One X+ would no longer get updates, even though they were obligated to provide updates for 18 months from the date of release.
On Friday (14 February), HTC revealed that the company was let down by chipset manufacturer Nvidia's lack of support, which made it impossible for global software rollout to these couple of smartphones. But on the bright side, HTC has vowed to explore ways to release the latest Android KitKat to American One X (with Snapdragon chipset) variant soon.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Will Shatter Records with 64-Bit Snapdragon, 21MP Camera and Bendable Design
- Lowe's Black Friday 2014 Deals Include Up To 40% Off On Select Major Appliances, Plus Free Shipping For Orders Of $19 Or More
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Best Buy,Target And Amazon Offer Huge Discounts On Tablets Like iPad Air 2, Shield Tablet, Surface Pro 3 And More