Ellen Page Comes Out as Gay On Valentine’s Day; Twitter Reactions
By Keerthi Mohan | February 15, 2014 3:57 PM EST
“Juno” star Ellen Page is gay. The actress announced the news on Valentine’s Day, while speaking to an audience of LGBT youth at the Bally’s Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas.
“I’m here today because I am gay," Page, 26, told the audience who attended the Time to THRIVE event, according to The Hollywood Reporter. "And because maybe I can make a difference. To help others have an easier and more hopeful time. Regardless, for me, I feel a personal obligation and a social responsibility."
"I am tired of hiding and I am tired of lying by omission," Page declared. "I suffered for years because I was scared to be out. My spirit suffered, my mental health suffered and my relationships suffered. And I’m standing here today, with all of you, on the other side of all that pain."
Soon after Page’s announcement, Human Rights Campaign, organizers of the Time to THRIVE program, took to their social networking sites to congratulate Page on her decision to come out.
“Congratulations, @EllenPage for taking the steps to live openly and come out as lesbian. #comingout #timetoTHRIVE,” the organisation wrote.
Twitter reactions to the news have been largely supportive, with a good number of people saying that it would instill courage in others.
“Very nice to see Ellen Page have the courage to come out and be who she truly is. I hope she instills that courage in others. #equality,” one message read.
Another added: “Ellen Page earned my respect today. She is amazing for standing up and speaking out.”
Interestingly, Page’s next project “Freeheld”, which is in the works, has her playing a lesbian. Julianne Moore essays the role of her partner.
“Freeheld” is a true story about a devoted couple -- Stacie Andree (Page) and New Jersey police detective Laurel Hester (Moore) – whose life gets complicated when Hester becomes terminally ill. It is the story of how Hester fights government officials to give her pension benefits to Andree.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 6 Spoilers: Abby Sciuto Talks Of Cote de Pablo's Character, 'I Loved Ziva But She Left Us' (Review)
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 29, 2014: Caroline Is Remorseful About What Happened To Her And Ridge While Katie Is Fuming [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- 'The Walking Dead' Star Norman Reedus Bashes The Report That He Begged The Producers Not To Turn Daryl Dixon Gay
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actor Kit Harington Denies Romance With Co-stars Rose Leslie And Emilia Clarke
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight