Essar Energy's Largest Shareholder says in Talks to Buy out Firm
February 15, 2014 3:06 PM EST
The fund said in November it would sell shares to dilute its 78.02 percent stake in Essar Energy so the company met UK listing requirements, which mandate that at least 25 percent of a company's stock be available for trading.
Since then, Essar Energy's shares have lost about 38 percent of their value until Thursday. They closed up 10 percent on Friday.
Essar Energy declined to comment.
The company's second-largest shareholder, Capital World Investors, said it could not disclose if it planned to participate in a bid.
Essar Global said there was no certainty it would make an offer, and until then it would not transact in the shares of the company even to meet the free float requirement.
Essar Global also said it may offer to buy Essar Energy's 4.25 percent convertible bonds due 2016.
The oil and gas company is controlled by privately held Indian conglomerate Essar Group, which has interests in steel, shipping, power and other sectors.
Essar Energy's shares closed at 66 pence, making the stock one of the top percentage gainers on the FTSE-250 Midcap Index
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
Join the Conversation
- 5 Uncanny Jobs That Actually Pay Very Well
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian International Condemnation Extends to 2018 World Cup
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Multi-Million Pound Law Suit Looms Over Putin’s Head, Assets At Risk
- Magaluf 2014 Update: Spanish Bar Where Teen Performed Sex Acts Closed, to Pay $78K Fine Along with Carnage Event Planner (VIDEOS)
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide