Essar Energy's Largest Shareholder says in Talks to Buy out Firm
February 15, 2014 3:06 PM EST
The fund said in November it would sell shares to dilute its 78.02 percent stake in Essar Energy so the company met UK listing requirements, which mandate that at least 25 percent of a company's stock be available for trading.
Since then, Essar Energy's shares have lost about 38 percent of their value until Thursday. They closed up 10 percent on Friday.
Essar Energy declined to comment.
The company's second-largest shareholder, Capital World Investors, said it could not disclose if it planned to participate in a bid.
Essar Global said there was no certainty it would make an offer, and until then it would not transact in the shares of the company even to meet the free float requirement.
Essar Global also said it may offer to buy Essar Energy's 4.25 percent convertible bonds due 2016.
The oil and gas company is controlled by privately held Indian conglomerate Essar Group, which has interests in steel, shipping, power and other sectors.
Essar Energy's shares closed at 66 pence, making the stock one of the top percentage gainers on the FTSE-250 Midcap Index
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- China Military PLA Drills Affect Flights, Hundreds Cancelled
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: EU Feared Won't Ever Enforce Sanctions on Russia; All Talk, No Force
- U.S. Flights to Israel Now Lifted, Flights To and From Tel Aviv Resume – FAA
- Reserve Bank of New Zealand Raises Interest Rates Due to 'Unsustainable' Kiwi
- Embattled Malaysia Airlines Could Run Out of Cash 2015; Diverts Plane Over Another War Zone After MH17 Crash
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown