iPad Pro, iPhone 6 Release Dates Soon; Apple to Kill iPhone 4S, iPhone 5C, iPad 2 This Year?
By Kristin Dian Mariano | February 15, 2014 10:06 AM EST
People check out several versions of the new iPhone 5C after Apple Inc's media event in Cupertino, California September 10, 2013. REUTERS/Stephen Lam
Apple Insider has reported that Apple intended to take iPad 2 off the market this year. iPad 2 has been in the market for three years and it is almost time to remove the ancient tablet from store shelves.
One of the reasons why Apple will remove the tablet is because an iPad Pro is coming and will replace the current iPad Air. iPad Air will receive a discount once a new tablet will arrive.
Another reason why the iPad 2 will be removed from the market is due to poor sales. Consumers looking for a tablet at a slightly lower price point have begun shifting to iPad Mini with Retina display. This is the main reason the shipment of iPad 2 has decreased.
Digital Spy also reported that Apple will pack away iPhone 5C as the company will revamp the iPhone 5S and will make a cheaper version of the said smartphone. Moreover, the Cupertino-based company will launch two models of the iPhone 6 this year, one with a 4.7-inch screen and the other featuring a larger 5.5-inch display.
The iPhone 5C will also be axed as the low cost handset did not meet the expectations of Apple and the consumers. The low cost iPhone 5C was introduced and released last Sep. 2013. However, reports said that the response on the handset in terms of sales was not what Apple was expecting from the device.
Apple already cut down the production of iPhone 5C due to poor sales late last year. Furthermore, Apple gave deals and discounts on the handset many times despite the fact that it was released last September.
In addition, iPhone 4S may also be out of the view since Apple usually sell three versions of its devices in its online store. Thus, we can assume that Apple's iPhone line up for this year is consisted of iPhone 6 with 4.7 inch screen, iPhone 6 with 5.5 inch screen and iPhone 5S. However, Apple has not confirmed these rumours yet.
According to rumours, iPhone 6 will pack a larger screen display within the range of 4.8 to 6 inches, A8 processor, and iOS 8. Moreover, it may retain some of iPhone 5S' new features like the M7 graphics chip and the fingerprint sensor.
The iPhone 6 release date is speculated to take place at the Worldwide Developers' Conference in June, which is the original launch date of Apple's iPhone. However, the handset may also be released in September.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Samsung Galaxy Mega 2 Reportedly Cleared by FCC: Five Fresh Features to Expect from Android Smart Phone
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. OnePlus One—Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown
- Transfer News: In Demand Everton Midfielder Silence Speculations by Penning New Deal [VIDEO]
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Reebok Launches Bacon Line to Lure CrossFit and Paleo Diet Fans
- Transfer News: Star Midfielder Pledges Future with Manchester City [VIDEO]
- ACT Party's Demand to Re Consider Maoris Privileges Evokes Reprimand