iPad Pro, iPhone 6 Release Dates Soon; Apple to Kill iPhone 4S, iPhone 5C, iPad 2 This Year?
By Kristin Dian Mariano | February 15, 2014 10:06 AM EST
People check out several versions of the new iPhone 5C after Apple Inc's media event in Cupertino, California September 10, 2013. REUTERS/Stephen Lam
Apple Insider has reported that Apple intended to take iPad 2 off the market this year. iPad 2 has been in the market for three years and it is almost time to remove the ancient tablet from store shelves.
One of the reasons why Apple will remove the tablet is because an iPad Pro is coming and will replace the current iPad Air. iPad Air will receive a discount once a new tablet will arrive.
Another reason why the iPad 2 will be removed from the market is due to poor sales. Consumers looking for a tablet at a slightly lower price point have begun shifting to iPad Mini with Retina display. This is the main reason the shipment of iPad 2 has decreased.
Digital Spy also reported that Apple will pack away iPhone 5C as the company will revamp the iPhone 5S and will make a cheaper version of the said smartphone. Moreover, the Cupertino-based company will launch two models of the iPhone 6 this year, one with a 4.7-inch screen and the other featuring a larger 5.5-inch display.
The iPhone 5C will also be axed as the low cost handset did not meet the expectations of Apple and the consumers. The low cost iPhone 5C was introduced and released last Sep. 2013. However, reports said that the response on the handset in terms of sales was not what Apple was expecting from the device.
Apple already cut down the production of iPhone 5C due to poor sales late last year. Furthermore, Apple gave deals and discounts on the handset many times despite the fact that it was released last September.
In addition, iPhone 4S may also be out of the view since Apple usually sell three versions of its devices in its online store. Thus, we can assume that Apple's iPhone line up for this year is consisted of iPhone 6 with 4.7 inch screen, iPhone 6 with 5.5 inch screen and iPhone 5S. However, Apple has not confirmed these rumours yet.
According to rumours, iPhone 6 will pack a larger screen display within the range of 4.8 to 6 inches, A8 processor, and iOS 8. Moreover, it may retain some of iPhone 5S' new features like the M7 graphics chip and the fingerprint sensor.
The iPhone 6 release date is speculated to take place at the Worldwide Developers' Conference in June, which is the original launch date of Apple's iPhone. However, the handset may also be released in September.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family