Sony to Work on iPhone 6 Front and Back Cameras?
By Kristin Dian Mariano | February 15, 2014 10:02 AM EST
The gold colored version of the new iPhone 5S is seen after Apple Inc's media event in Cupertino, California September 10, 2013.
According to Nikkei Asian Review, Sony aims to provide the image sensors for both the front and rear cameras on the iPhone 6. The report added that the negotiations between Sony and Apple are set to double the amount of CMOS sensors supplied to Cupertino.
Currently, Apple makes use parts from other suppliers for the front camera. However, with more users expected to use smartphones for video calls, Sony is probably the best choice of supplier if Apple wants to further improve the quality of its front camera.
The report cited Techno Systems Research saying that "Sony's image sensor sales, chiefly CMOS sensors, are expected to total about 360 billion yen ($3.47 billion) this fiscal year. It held the largest share of the global CMOS sensor market in 2012 at 32.1%".
Meanwhile, alleged iPhone 6 images that fooled a lot of people and thought that it was the real deal. However, it was later learned that the photo was created by 3D illustrator and concept image designer Martin Hajek.
Meanwhile, other iPhone 6 rumoured features are A8 processor, iOS 8 and fingerprint sensor. Moreover, Apple patents give out strong suggestions on what consumers should expect in the next Apple handset. Some of the features hinted in some patents are curved or flexible screen embedded with liquidmetal material, sapphire glass screen display, improved Siri, and gestures control.
The iPhone 6 release date is still unconfirmed by Apple. However, there is growing speculations that the iPhone 6 will be announced in June at the Worldwide Developers' Conference, which is the original release date window of Apple's handset. Other reports claimed that the handset will be released in September, which is a year after the iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C were launched in 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft