Arvind Kejriwal Resigns as Delhi Chief Minister
By Vishnuprasad Pillai | February 15, 2014 2:19 AM EST
New Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal resigned on Friday, bringing an end to his eventful 49 days in office, after suffering defeat in his attempts to introduce the Jan Lokpal Bill in the Assembly.
Earlier in the day, Kejriwal had dropped a massive hint that the AAP government might quit, following some dramatic scenes in the Delhi Assembly where BJP and Congress MLAs combined to dismiss introduction of the Jan Lokpal Bill, which the CM tabled after ignoring Lt Governor Najeeb Jung's advice.
"This appears to be our last session. I will consider myself fortunate if I have to sacrifice chief minister's post and my life to eradicate corruption," Kejriwal had said.
"BJP and Congress did not allow introduction of bill because of FIR against Mukesh Ambani," the AAP chief pointed out, adding: "We may be inexperienced, but we had hoped to learn."
Reports suggest Kejriwal sent his resignation to Lt Governor Jung shortly after a meeting of the Cabinet. It is understood that the AAP leader recommended the Lt. Governor to dissolve the Assembly and sought fresh polls. He also addressed the AAP supporters at the party headquarters.
Some reports also claim that Kejriwal might contest the Lok Sabha elections against BJP's Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- MH17: Separatist Soldier Holds Aussie Reporter at Gun Point
- U.S. ‘Defends’ Israel for ‘Disgraceful’ Attack on UN School in Gaza that Killed 15
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- MH17 Memorial: Australia Prepares for August 7 National Day of Mourning
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools