Brisk Walk Can Reduce Stroke Risk in Women, Finds Study
By Parismita Goswami | February 14, 2014 10:15 PM EST
Women involved in moderate exercises, such as playing tennis or a brisk walk, are less likely to get a stroke, researchers say.
Brisk walk can reduce women's stroke risk, study finds
"The benefits of reducing risk of stroke were further observed among the group of women who had a sustained moderate level of physical activity over time," Los Angeles Times quoted Sophia Wang, the lead author of the study and a professor at the Beckman Research Institute at the City of Hope.
The researchers presented their findings at the American Stroke Association's international conference in San Diego.
It is a well known fact that both genders who regularly exercise are healthier than those who don't and that it not only keeps the body healthy but benefits the mind as well.
The study was conducted on 133,479 women in the California Teachers Study with those with previous record of stoke from 1996 through 2010. Women who were moderately active were found to be 20 percent less likely to get a stroke compared to those who had zero activity. Also, post-menopausal women who take hormone pill and involve in moderate workouts are at lower risk of stroke.
"More strenuous activity, such as running, didn't provide extra help. Moderate activity such as brisk walking appeared to be ideal in this scenario," Wang added.
Some moderate activity includes cycling, golf, tennis, volleyball. Strenuous activity includes jogging, swimming laps, running, aerobics, calisthenics, basketball, racquetball and many more.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Papua New Guinea’s Mount Tavurvur Erupts, Qantas Reroutes Flights
- Tiny Beads Found In Shampoo And Exfoliants Are A Threat to the Sydney Harbour
- Underground Eruption of A Volcano Noticed As Powerful Earthquakes Rock Iceland
- Two Moons Hoax Surfaces Again: Debunked By Scientists, Twitter Explodes With Reactions
- Climate Change Is Eating Away The Great Barrier Reef
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine
- Amazon Threatened by Google’s Partnership with Barnes and Noble