Brisk Walk Can Reduce Stroke Risk in Women, Finds Study
By Parismita Goswami | February 14, 2014 10:15 PM EST
Women involved in moderate exercises, such as playing tennis or a brisk walk, are less likely to get a stroke, researchers say.
Brisk walk can reduce women's stroke risk, study finds
"The benefits of reducing risk of stroke were further observed among the group of women who had a sustained moderate level of physical activity over time," Los Angeles Times quoted Sophia Wang, the lead author of the study and a professor at the Beckman Research Institute at the City of Hope.
The researchers presented their findings at the American Stroke Association's international conference in San Diego.
It is a well known fact that both genders who regularly exercise are healthier than those who don't and that it not only keeps the body healthy but benefits the mind as well.
The study was conducted on 133,479 women in the California Teachers Study with those with previous record of stoke from 1996 through 2010. Women who were moderately active were found to be 20 percent less likely to get a stroke compared to those who had zero activity. Also, post-menopausal women who take hormone pill and involve in moderate workouts are at lower risk of stroke.
"More strenuous activity, such as running, didn't provide extra help. Moderate activity such as brisk walking appeared to be ideal in this scenario," Wang added.
Some moderate activity includes cycling, golf, tennis, volleyball. Strenuous activity includes jogging, swimming laps, running, aerobics, calisthenics, basketball, racquetball and many more.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Yuka, A Woolly Mammoth, Is Just 39,000 Years Young, And Wears A Reddish Coat
- Army Of Moonwalkers May Soon Be Ready As Michael Jackson Reportedly Cloned Himself Before Death
- Social Media Conspiracy Fires Up Due To Ancient Engraving On Mars [Watch Video]
- Aussies Love Robots More Than The Japanese Do
- Virgin Atlantic Space Tourism Rocket Crashes At Test Flight, 1 Dead
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles