Brisk Walk Can Reduce Stroke Risk in Women, Finds Study
By Parismita Goswami | February 14, 2014 10:15 PM EST
Women involved in moderate exercises, such as playing tennis or a brisk walk, are less likely to get a stroke, researchers say.
Brisk walk can reduce women's stroke risk, study finds
"The benefits of reducing risk of stroke were further observed among the group of women who had a sustained moderate level of physical activity over time," Los Angeles Times quoted Sophia Wang, the lead author of the study and a professor at the Beckman Research Institute at the City of Hope.
The researchers presented their findings at the American Stroke Association's international conference in San Diego.
It is a well known fact that both genders who regularly exercise are healthier than those who don't and that it not only keeps the body healthy but benefits the mind as well.
The study was conducted on 133,479 women in the California Teachers Study with those with previous record of stoke from 1996 through 2010. Women who were moderately active were found to be 20 percent less likely to get a stroke compared to those who had zero activity. Also, post-menopausal women who take hormone pill and involve in moderate workouts are at lower risk of stroke.
"More strenuous activity, such as running, didn't provide extra help. Moderate activity such as brisk walking appeared to be ideal in this scenario," Wang added.
Some moderate activity includes cycling, golf, tennis, volleyball. Strenuous activity includes jogging, swimming laps, running, aerobics, calisthenics, basketball, racquetball and many more.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Alien Mystery: The Most Famous Unexplained Alien Abduction Cases (Watch Video)
- Bardarbunga Volcano In Iceland Erupts With Brightly Coloured Lava Under Northern Lights [Watch Video]
- University of Waterloo U Study Recommends Best Sex Positions To Ease Back Pain During Lovemaking
- West Seattle Man Accuses Stranger Obese Woman Of Rape While He Was Asleep
- Lady Gaga Wants David Bowie To Perform With Her In Space
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect