Brisk Walk Can Reduce Stroke Risk in Women, Finds Study
By Parismita Goswami | February 14, 2014 10:15 PM EST
Women involved in moderate exercises, such as playing tennis or a brisk walk, are less likely to get a stroke, researchers say.
Brisk walk can reduce women's stroke risk, study finds
"The benefits of reducing risk of stroke were further observed among the group of women who had a sustained moderate level of physical activity over time," Los Angeles Times quoted Sophia Wang, the lead author of the study and a professor at the Beckman Research Institute at the City of Hope.
The researchers presented their findings at the American Stroke Association's international conference in San Diego.
It is a well known fact that both genders who regularly exercise are healthier than those who don't and that it not only keeps the body healthy but benefits the mind as well.
The study was conducted on 133,479 women in the California Teachers Study with those with previous record of stoke from 1996 through 2010. Women who were moderately active were found to be 20 percent less likely to get a stroke compared to those who had zero activity. Also, post-menopausal women who take hormone pill and involve in moderate workouts are at lower risk of stroke.
"More strenuous activity, such as running, didn't provide extra help. Moderate activity such as brisk walking appeared to be ideal in this scenario," Wang added.
Some moderate activity includes cycling, golf, tennis, volleyball. Strenuous activity includes jogging, swimming laps, running, aerobics, calisthenics, basketball, racquetball and many more.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- HIV Cure: First Effective Cure to Have Long-Term Remission; 3 Factors to Check on Inactive Virus
- Coming Soon: AntiViral Gel in Condoms to Kill HIV Virus
- Melbourne Man Gives Up Sex For a Year; Donates £50,000 in Charity
- FDA Prioritises Review of ‘Abuse-Deterrent’ Painkiller
- Tree of 40 Fruit: A Tree That Produces 40 Fruits in New York
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- BlackBerry Passport Video Leak, Release Date, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate [Watch YouTube Clip] --Reports
- Iphone 6 Release Date Fast -Approaching, Reuse and Recycle Program Now in Australia