Brisk Walk Can Reduce Stroke Risk in Women, Finds Study
By Parismita Goswami | February 14, 2014 10:15 PM EST
Women involved in moderate exercises, such as playing tennis or a brisk walk, are less likely to get a stroke, researchers say.
Brisk walk can reduce women's stroke risk, study finds
"The benefits of reducing risk of stroke were further observed among the group of women who had a sustained moderate level of physical activity over time," Los Angeles Times quoted Sophia Wang, the lead author of the study and a professor at the Beckman Research Institute at the City of Hope.
The researchers presented their findings at the American Stroke Association's international conference in San Diego.
It is a well known fact that both genders who regularly exercise are healthier than those who don't and that it not only keeps the body healthy but benefits the mind as well.
The study was conducted on 133,479 women in the California Teachers Study with those with previous record of stoke from 1996 through 2010. Women who were moderately active were found to be 20 percent less likely to get a stroke compared to those who had zero activity. Also, post-menopausal women who take hormone pill and involve in moderate workouts are at lower risk of stroke.
"More strenuous activity, such as running, didn't provide extra help. Moderate activity such as brisk walking appeared to be ideal in this scenario," Wang added.
Some moderate activity includes cycling, golf, tennis, volleyball. Strenuous activity includes jogging, swimming laps, running, aerobics, calisthenics, basketball, racquetball and many more.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Zero-Gravity Update: Coffee Machine Brews Fresh ISSpresso For Astronauts
- Stephen Hawking's Facebook Posts Tell You How The Cosmologist Reacts To 'Theory Of Everything' And 'Interstellar'
- Sydney Heatwave Roundup: Mercury Rising To 40 Degrees, Severe Fire Warnings In Place
- Crop Production Amplifies Carbon Dioxide Cycle
- Musical Training Enhances Long-Term Memory
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899