Cold Storm Douses What Could be Warm, Hot Valentine’s Day Business Frenzy
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 14, 2014 6:00 PM EST
What should be a warm, hot Valentine's Day business frenzy could turn menacingly cold this year for florists located in the U.S. South, northeast parts as well as along the East Coast. The snow storm may well be going out, but the road conditions continue to be icy and dangerous for flower deliveries.
A survey of roses has discovered that the cheapest bunches can sometimes be the best.
"We are hoping it's not going to be too bad," Gina Zimmerman Fries, a member of the family that owns Jen-Mor Florist in Dover, told USA Today.
"We don't make money unless the trucks are moving," Tracy Callahan told Washington Post as she waded into knee-high snow with a shovel and tried to free the flowers. She also tried to chip away the ice surrounding the delivery van.
"Valentine's Day is the ultimate procrastinator's holiday," Matthew Rosenheim, president of Washington, D.C., jeweler Tiny Jewel Box, told CNBC. "The storm has the potential to have a major financial impact on the business."
Even major freight companies FedEx and UPS have issued service delay warnings by late Wednesday, which carried on Thursday for the South.
"The biggest problem with weather like this would be if the product didn't arrive. All you can do is not argue with mother nature and plan in advance," Sandy Baumann, co-owner of Nielsen's Florist in Darien, was quoted by CT Post.
Some business owners believed on Valentine's Day itself, they would be lucky to get calls from customers placing orders or receive them at their shops scouting for ready-made arrangments.
"I have a feeling tomorrow's going to be quite a wasted day, as far as people coming in," Catherine Amodio, owner of Creative Flowers by Amodio's, said.
Still most of them would do everything they can to make Valentine's Day 2014 worthwhile.
"We are ready for anything," Stephen Minoff of Hansen's Flower Shop said. "We just have to roll with the punches and work as a team to make sure Valentine's Day goes as planned and is the very best for the customers."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Baby Corpses Found in Storage Locker in Canada
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- ISIS Taking U.S.-Airdropped Weapons An 'Embarrassment'; Another Yazidi Massacre Looming [VIDEO]
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China