Cold Storm Douses What Could be Warm, Hot Valentine’s Day Business Frenzy
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 14, 2014 6:00 PM EST
What should be a warm, hot Valentine's Day business frenzy could turn menacingly cold this year for florists located in the U.S. South, northeast parts as well as along the East Coast. The snow storm may well be going out, but the road conditions continue to be icy and dangerous for flower deliveries.
A survey of roses has discovered that the cheapest bunches can sometimes be the best.
"We are hoping it's not going to be too bad," Gina Zimmerman Fries, a member of the family that owns Jen-Mor Florist in Dover, told USA Today.
"We don't make money unless the trucks are moving," Tracy Callahan told Washington Post as she waded into knee-high snow with a shovel and tried to free the flowers. She also tried to chip away the ice surrounding the delivery van.
"Valentine's Day is the ultimate procrastinator's holiday," Matthew Rosenheim, president of Washington, D.C., jeweler Tiny Jewel Box, told CNBC. "The storm has the potential to have a major financial impact on the business."
Even major freight companies FedEx and UPS have issued service delay warnings by late Wednesday, which carried on Thursday for the South.
"The biggest problem with weather like this would be if the product didn't arrive. All you can do is not argue with mother nature and plan in advance," Sandy Baumann, co-owner of Nielsen's Florist in Darien, was quoted by CT Post.
Some business owners believed on Valentine's Day itself, they would be lucky to get calls from customers placing orders or receive them at their shops scouting for ready-made arrangments.
"I have a feeling tomorrow's going to be quite a wasted day, as far as people coming in," Catherine Amodio, owner of Creative Flowers by Amodio's, said.
Still most of them would do everything they can to make Valentine's Day 2014 worthwhile.
"We are ready for anything," Stephen Minoff of Hansen's Flower Shop said. "We just have to roll with the punches and work as a team to make sure Valentine's Day goes as planned and is the very best for the customers."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Of Cambridge ‘Dissed’ By Camilla Parker-Bowles; Delivery Expected In April- Reports
- 'Green Alien Eggs' Spotted on Sydney's Dee Why Beach
- Robin Williams Confessed To Loving Billy Connolly Like A Brother In A Final Goodbye Call
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde Attends Father’s Funeral Without Handcuffs, Brother Thanks TPB Founder’s Supporters on Facebook
- Drag Queens Fume That Facebook Is Banning Aliases And Threaten to Drop Out Of It
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4