David Beckham as UNICEF Ambassador Visits Typhoon Victims in the Philippines, But Residents Hardly Ever Knew Who He Is [SLIDESHOW]
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 14, 2014 5:54 PM EST
David Beckham arrived in the Philippines on Sunday to meet the victims of one of the most devastating typhoons to ever hit a nation, but residents hardly ever know who he is, as reported by a local Philippine newspaper.
Beckham journeyed to Tacloban in an attempt to cheer up the Typhoon Haiyan survivors along with other UNICEF workforce. The retired soccer superstar was successful with his objective of putting smiles to the faces of the many Filipinos. However, the typhoon survivors didn't really have any idea who he really is.
When Beckham arrived, the survivors rushed out of their shelter tents to welcome him. One woman asked, "Is that man a celebrity?" Another woman thought that Beckham plays for the Azkals, the Philippine national football team.
In November 2013, Beckham and his wife Posh Spice Victoria donated some of their clothes to raise funds to help the victims of Typhoon Haiyan.
It was Beckham's second trip to the Philippines as a UNICEF goodwill ambassador. In 2011, he already visited that Asian country where he toured a shelter for former street children in Manila and even played a game of soccer with the Azkals.
Beckham is just one of the many celebrities who serves as UNICEF's goodwill ambassadors. Aside from the 38-year-old former soccer athlete, famous faces such as Sarah Jessica Parker, Tea Leoni, Selena Gomez, Alyssa Milano and Lucy Liu, among many others, have joined UNICEF's campaign to make the lives of children better.
According to Zafrin Chowdury, UNICEF spokesperson based in the Manila office, Beckham was deeply moved by the outcome of the typhoon and he wanted to be able to do something.
"He felt very touched by what happened and that he wanted to come back, not to do anything else - no meeting, no media - just to focus on children and meet them," said Chowdury.
"Encourage them and see for himself the situation," she added.
Beckham said that he felt humbled to visit the typhoon survivors and witness how people can still manage to smile and be charismatic in the face of the trials.
"As a UNICEF goodwill ambassador, seeing how children are being given a sense of normality amidst the rubble of their communities has been amazing," said Beckham. With his visit, Beckham wants to show the whole world how their plentiful offerings and contributions have helped the people of the Philippines.
Celebrities aren't only good for chinwags and gossips. Beckham is just one of the very few celebrities who has gone beyond to do good deeds for other people. Reaching out to people in need is one of the greatest things that a celebrity or even a normal individual can do in his life.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- Jeremy Lin's Trade To Los Angeles Lakers Is An Opportunity To Reinvent His Brand
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- Roger Federer and Michael Jordan Collaborate To Create Sneaker History For the US Open 2014
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected