Tinder Dating App Becomes a Rage at Sochi Winter Olympics; Olympic Village a Hotbed of Athlete Hook-Ups
By Keerthi Mohan | February 14, 2014 5:49 PM EST
Tinder has become extremely popular with athletes at Sochi’s Olympic Village, and an increasing number of Olympians are using the dating app to hook up, reports indicate.
American snowboarder Jamie Anderson recently revealed that the use of “Tinder in the Olympic Village is next level.”
“It’s all athletes! In the mountain village it’s all athletes. It’s hilarious. There are some cuties on there,” she told Us Weekly.
But the 23-year-old from Lake Tahoe, Calif., said she deleted her Tinder account after it became too distracting.
“There was a point where I had to be like, 'OK, this is way too distracting,'" she said of using Tinder. "I deleted my account to focus on the Olympics."
Tinder, according to its website, is a dating app that finds out the people who likes you nearby, and helps you to establish a connection with them if you are interested. It is among the fastest-growing dating apps, and it is not surprising that an increasing number of athletes are using it to hook up.
Traditionally, the Olympic Village has been a hotbed of athlete hook-ups, and swimmer Ryan Lochte told ESPN last year that an estimated 70 to 75 percent of Olympians were having sex in the Olympic village.
Talking cognizance of increasing sexual activity in the Olympic Village, the International Olympic Committee had handed out about 100,000 condoms at the beginning of the Games.
“It’s like making the ingredients of a huge stew — a stew of sexual ingredients,” Kuriansky said. “There is stress, which causes tension, and anxiety and energy, and a massive outpouring of chemicals in the body — adrenaline and endorphins. It’s a powerful concoction of chemicals.”
“Everyone knows the runner’s high,” she said. “Olympian athletes certainly have it — it’s orgasmic.”
“Winners or losers, on top of the world or devastated, it tends to make you grab the moment — carpe diem,” she said. “This is your moment.”
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Watch the MH17 Plane Missile Hit Video Tape in Mobile' Goes Viral on Facebook
- New Zealand Drafts IWC Resolution to Stop Japanese Whalers from Hunting in 2015
- Pacific Islands Forum Delegates Appeal for Changes to Climate Policies, Better Marine Life Protection
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install