Common Infections may Increase Risk of Memory Decline: Study
By Parismita Goswami | February 14, 2014 5:19 PM EST
Exposure to common infections is linked to increased risk of brain and memory function, according to a recent study at the Evelyn F. McKnight Brain Institute, University of Miami.
Common Infections may Increase the Risk of Memory Decline: Study
Certain antibody levels that are caused by exposure to common infections such as Helicobacter pylori, herpes simplex viruses 1 and 2 and cytomegalovirus can affect cognitive performance including memory, speed of mental processing, reasoning and planning ability and abstract thinking, according to researchers at the Evelyn F. McKnight Brain Institute.
"We were very interested in what were the risk factors for cognitive performance and decline," stated lead researcher Dr. Clinton Wright, scientific director of the Evelyn F. McKnight Brain Institute in a press release. Previous studies have already associated certain infections with increased risk of Alzheimer's disease and stroke.
The study tested 588 participants' blood samples and conducted brain function tests on them. Half of the participants who took the brain function tests again after five years, showed that exposure to some infections are linked to health issues such as stroke, as well as atherosclerosis and inflammation. However, researchers still don't have an answer to the link between infections and memory decline.
The study was conducted in collaboration with researchers at Columbia University. "There is no evidence yet that treating these infections is beneficial," he added. The initial exposure to the viruses must have happened decades earlier and the damage may be the result of a steady process. "It would be great if treatment prevented these bad outcomes, but we're very far away from having that type of evidence", Wright added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Italian Couple Suffers From Penis Captivus While Intimate In Porto San Giorgio Beach
- Bono Contracted Ebola, iPhone 6 Has It Too – Ebola Hoaxes That Up the Ante Of Absurdity
- Ebola Outbreak To Continue Until Effective Vaccine Surfaces; 120,000 Women To Die of Childbirth
- UNICEF Highlights ‘Cheapest, Most Effective’ Ebola Vaccine
- Ebola Does Not Infect But Scares Southwestern College To Evacuate Students
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored
- Spain Offers To Train Iraqi Troops To Fight Back ISIS Militants: Kurdish Forces Making Gains In Kobani Against ISIS Surge