Common Infections may Increase Risk of Memory Decline: Study
By Parismita Goswami | February 14, 2014 5:19 PM EST
Exposure to common infections is linked to increased risk of brain and memory function, according to a recent study at the Evelyn F. McKnight Brain Institute, University of Miami.
Common Infections may Increase the Risk of Memory Decline: Study
Certain antibody levels that are caused by exposure to common infections such as Helicobacter pylori, herpes simplex viruses 1 and 2 and cytomegalovirus can affect cognitive performance including memory, speed of mental processing, reasoning and planning ability and abstract thinking, according to researchers at the Evelyn F. McKnight Brain Institute.
"We were very interested in what were the risk factors for cognitive performance and decline," stated lead researcher Dr. Clinton Wright, scientific director of the Evelyn F. McKnight Brain Institute in a press release. Previous studies have already associated certain infections with increased risk of Alzheimer's disease and stroke.
The study tested 588 participants' blood samples and conducted brain function tests on them. Half of the participants who took the brain function tests again after five years, showed that exposure to some infections are linked to health issues such as stroke, as well as atherosclerosis and inflammation. However, researchers still don't have an answer to the link between infections and memory decline.
The study was conducted in collaboration with researchers at Columbia University. "There is no evidence yet that treating these infections is beneficial," he added. The initial exposure to the viruses must have happened decades earlier and the damage may be the result of a steady process. "It would be great if treatment prevented these bad outcomes, but we're very far away from having that type of evidence", Wright added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Back To Herself After Struggling With Hyperemesis Gravidarum
- Ebola Vaccine: Johnson & Johnson Confident Of Human Trials In January And Market Delivery in May Next Year
- 12 Terrifyingly Healthy Halloween Treats
- New York Doctor Tests Positive For Ebola
- ‘Death Sentence’ For 50,000 Australians With The Refusal Of Costly Hep C Treatment
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related