Weird Baby Names: Harry Potter, James Bond, Rambo, Hitler, 57 Others Banned by Mexican State; Spare the Kids from Bullies, Advocates Say
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 14, 2014 4:25 PM EST
Parents who are thinking of naming their kids after movie characters such as Harry Potter, James Bond and Rambo, or even after historical mainstays like Hitler and Lady Di, or even Twitter or Facebook, have pity on them. Such names actually degrade them and could open doors to bullying, according to the civil registry in Sonora, Mexico.
The northern Mexican state bordering Arizona has released a list of 61 names which parents may not use for their children.
"It's about protecting children," Cristina Ramirez, the director of Sonora's Civil Registry, said. "We want to make sure children's names don't get them bullied in school."
"The law is very clear because it prohibits giving children names that are derogatory or that don't have any meaning and that can lead to bullying," she said.
Among the barred baby names include
- Burger King
- James Bond
- Harry Potter
- Christmas Day
- Rolling Stone
- US Navy
- Lady Di
- Rolling Stone
"Some people are saying were are attacking the liberty of parents," Ms Ramirez told the Guardian. "We think these names attack the superior interests of the child."
The list would be revised every few months, with new names added as they come.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Report Claims China & Taiwan Sell Human Meat
- Sex with the Dead: Ohio Man Admits Doing it with 100 Corpses
- Princess Diana's Gravesite Algae-Infested, Earl Spencer Reportedly To Blame
- Ebola Virus: NZ Health Officials Given 'Powers' to Stop Ships, Planes from Entering Border
- Canadian Rapist, Convicted for Killing 2-Year-Old Girl, Murdered in Prison
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015