Weird Baby Names: Harry Potter, James Bond, Rambo, Hitler, 57 Others Banned by Mexican State; Spare the Kids from Bullies, Advocates Say
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 14, 2014 4:25 PM EST
Parents who are thinking of naming their kids after movie characters such as Harry Potter, James Bond and Rambo, or even after historical mainstays like Hitler and Lady Di, or even Twitter or Facebook, have pity on them. Such names actually degrade them and could open doors to bullying, according to the civil registry in Sonora, Mexico.
The northern Mexican state bordering Arizona has released a list of 61 names which parents may not use for their children.
"It's about protecting children," Cristina Ramirez, the director of Sonora's Civil Registry, said. "We want to make sure children's names don't get them bullied in school."
"The law is very clear because it prohibits giving children names that are derogatory or that don't have any meaning and that can lead to bullying," she said.
Among the barred baby names include
- Burger King
- James Bond
- Harry Potter
- Christmas Day
- Rolling Stone
- US Navy
- Lady Di
- Rolling Stone
"Some people are saying were are attacking the liberty of parents," Ms Ramirez told the Guardian. "We think these names attack the superior interests of the child."
The list would be revised every few months, with new names added as they come.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Shocking Ice Bucket Challenge Video: Man Drenches 10-Month-Old Granddaughter, Video Garnered Angry And Appalled Comments From Viewers
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports