Weird Baby Names: Harry Potter, James Bond, Rambo, Hitler, 57 Others Banned by Mexican State; Spare the Kids from Bullies, Advocates Say
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 14, 2014 4:25 PM EST
Parents who are thinking of naming their kids after movie characters such as Harry Potter, James Bond and Rambo, or even after historical mainstays like Hitler and Lady Di, or even Twitter or Facebook, have pity on them. Such names actually degrade them and could open doors to bullying, according to the civil registry in Sonora, Mexico.
The northern Mexican state bordering Arizona has released a list of 61 names which parents may not use for their children.
"It's about protecting children," Cristina Ramirez, the director of Sonora's Civil Registry, said. "We want to make sure children's names don't get them bullied in school."
"The law is very clear because it prohibits giving children names that are derogatory or that don't have any meaning and that can lead to bullying," she said.
Among the barred baby names include
- Burger King
- James Bond
- Harry Potter
- Christmas Day
- Rolling Stone
- US Navy
- Lady Di
- Rolling Stone
"Some people are saying were are attacking the liberty of parents," Ms Ramirez told the Guardian. "We think these names attack the superior interests of the child."
The list would be revised every few months, with new names added as they come.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Has ‘Strict Style Guide,’ Expected To Wear Winter Wardrobes During Pregnancy
- Bizarre Sex Abuse: Man Licks Woman’s Foot in Canada, Runs Away With Her Shoe
- New Zealand Pre-schooler Suffers Attack For Wearing A Jewish Cap; Anti-Semitic Act Condemned
- Australia's Direct Action Policy To Increase Projected Emmisions By 2020 -- UN Report
- Canadian Soldier Dies in 'Freak Accident' at Work
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Best Black Friday 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More