Jeremy Lin News: Linsanity in Contention For Sixth Man of the Year
By Lou Ramon Aguila | February 14, 2014 2:37 PM EST
Houston Rockets point guard Jeremy Lin's big production off the bench along with growing popularity around the world could help him bag his first individual award either this season or within the next few years.
James Harden and Jeremy Lin will look to lead the Houston Rockets past the Oklahoma City Thunder
Linsanity might be over but the craziness surrounding Lin ceases to die. Lin is averaging at least 14 points and 5 dimes per game, nonetheless his impact on the game as a scorer and ball distributor cannot be downplayed.
Of course, there are other bench players who hold better statistical line than Lin. Phoenix Suns Markieff Morris, Utah Jazz's Alec Burc, and Portland Trail Blazers Mo Williams are all deserving to hoist the Sixth Man of the Year trophy.
Then again, Lin's sensational play as of late might shake up the race for NBA's best reserve player. The Rockets are on a seven-game winning streak, and continue to rise up in a very competitive Western Conference battle.
Dwight Howard, James Harden and Chandler Parson have been the studs for this loaded Rockets team, but Lin serves as an X-Factor that helped them rack up wins consistently. Head coach Kevin McHale is beginning to put more responsibility on the shoulder of Lin when it matters the most. In fact, the Rockets coach often prefers Lin over Patrick Beverley at crunch time, giving opponent's defense some hard decision on the other end of the court.
"Lin is clocking 30.9 per game, while Beverley is at 31.8. The Rockets' best lineup is with Lin, Beverley, Terrence Jones, Dwight Howard and Chandler Parsons, holding a .875 winning percentage, good for ninth in the league," via Bleacher Report.
Of course, the winner of the Sixth Man of the Year plum isn't only measured based on his statistics, because the voters are writer, who always like compelling stories. And there's possibly no more interesting story than that of Lin, who came out of nowhere and electrify the league during his much-publicized tenure with the New York Knicks.
"And like all awards, Sixth Man honors are highly driven by their stories. They're selected by journalists who weave a sort of sociological afghan for a profession, not by stats-crashers and talent appraisers who scrutinize a player's every move," Bleacher Report writer John Wilmes stressed.
Even if Lin fails to win the Sixth Man trophy this year, he's expected to be in contention for the award in the coming years as he long as he continues what he's best at - giving some punch off the bench!
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS