'American Idol' Season 13: First Openly Gay Contestant Breaks Through the Top 30
By Maychelle Ornos | February 14, 2014 2:21 PM EST
A number of changes were made in the opening of season 13 of "American Idol" but among the interesting surprises in the show is how the first openly gay contestant made it to the Top 30. Thousands and thousands of golden tickets were already given and many of the gay contestants were not so open of their sexual orientation as soon as they entered the show, in which some speculated to be related to the show's rules.
This in indeed a milestone for "American Idol" and it speaks how viewers are more open with regards to gender differences. The 20-year-old M. K. Nobilette from San Francisco decided to give the show a try since it was her aunt's favorite show thinking that she hasn't got anything to lose auditioning to the show. She never knew that this decision would come to make a significant change in the show.
The "American Idol" judges Harry Conic, Jr. and Keith Urban have both voted for Nobilitte and are clearly rooting for her in the competition. Meanwhile, Jennifer Lopez has yet to express her stand with regards to the obviously gay contestant. Nobilitte is lucky compared to previous openly gay contestants who were told to remove all mentions of their sexual orientation like Jim Verraros of season 1, according to the Wikipedia.
"I'm very obviously gay, and there are always gonna be people in America and everywhere else who will definitely hate me. But I think that in the last two years there have been a lot of things that have really changed that, and have made it a positive thing," said Nobilitte as she was waiting for her fate in Hollywood Week, according to Entertainment Weekly.
This exciting development was viewed by other spectators of the show differently. Others were happy that the openly gay contestant made it to the show while some are questioning why is it only now that a person who is gay made it this far into the competition.
"The world is changing, I think," said Jennifer Lopez during the show. This is one testimony in how the world is starting to fully open its arms to the lesbian and gay community. The show will still be all about the singing prowess of the contestant and Nobilitte still needs to show her best when she is performing.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Queen Elizabeth and Kate Middleton Clash Again: Duchess Scared of Difficult Pregnancy, Adopting Second 'Royal' Baby - Reports
- The Bold and the Beautiful Spoilers for July 31, 2014: Plans, Conditions and Ultimatums in B&B [WATCH VIDEO]
- Supernatural Season 10 Spoilers: Metatron Capable of Saving Castiel's Fading Grace
- The Bachelor Australia: Tim, Anna Relationship Update
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Vacation Plans: Visit Prince Charles & Camilla Parker-Bowles
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools