'American Idol' Season 13: First Openly Gay Contestant Breaks Through the Top 30
By Maychelle Ornos | February 14, 2014 2:21 PM EST
A number of changes were made in the opening of season 13 of "American Idol" but among the interesting surprises in the show is how the first openly gay contestant made it to the Top 30. Thousands and thousands of golden tickets were already given and many of the gay contestants were not so open of their sexual orientation as soon as they entered the show, in which some speculated to be related to the show's rules.
This in indeed a milestone for "American Idol" and it speaks how viewers are more open with regards to gender differences. The 20-year-old M. K. Nobilette from San Francisco decided to give the show a try since it was her aunt's favorite show thinking that she hasn't got anything to lose auditioning to the show. She never knew that this decision would come to make a significant change in the show.
The "American Idol" judges Harry Conic, Jr. and Keith Urban have both voted for Nobilitte and are clearly rooting for her in the competition. Meanwhile, Jennifer Lopez has yet to express her stand with regards to the obviously gay contestant. Nobilitte is lucky compared to previous openly gay contestants who were told to remove all mentions of their sexual orientation like Jim Verraros of season 1, according to the Wikipedia.
"I'm very obviously gay, and there are always gonna be people in America and everywhere else who will definitely hate me. But I think that in the last two years there have been a lot of things that have really changed that, and have made it a positive thing," said Nobilitte as she was waiting for her fate in Hollywood Week, according to Entertainment Weekly.
This exciting development was viewed by other spectators of the show differently. Others were happy that the openly gay contestant made it to the show while some are questioning why is it only now that a person who is gay made it this far into the competition.
"The world is changing, I think," said Jennifer Lopez during the show. This is one testimony in how the world is starting to fully open its arms to the lesbian and gay community. The show will still be all about the singing prowess of the contestant and Nobilitte still needs to show her best when she is performing.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- 'Vampire Diaries' Season 6 Spoilers: Stefan Proposes To 'Elena Williams' In Promo Trailer For Episode 4 Titled 'Black Hole Sun' [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’: Blake And Louise Tell The True Story
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Oct. 20-24 Spoilers: An ‘Unexpected Visitor’ Changes Everything For Sami Plus Updates On Salemites
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored
- Spain Offers To Train Iraqi Troops To Fight Back ISIS Militants: Kurdish Forces Making Gains In Kobani Against ISIS Surge