'American Idol' Season 13: First Openly Gay Contestant Breaks Through the Top 30
By Maychelle Ornos | February 14, 2014 2:21 PM EST
A number of changes were made in the opening of season 13 of "American Idol" but among the interesting surprises in the show is how the first openly gay contestant made it to the Top 30. Thousands and thousands of golden tickets were already given and many of the gay contestants were not so open of their sexual orientation as soon as they entered the show, in which some speculated to be related to the show's rules.
This in indeed a milestone for "American Idol" and it speaks how viewers are more open with regards to gender differences. The 20-year-old M. K. Nobilette from San Francisco decided to give the show a try since it was her aunt's favorite show thinking that she hasn't got anything to lose auditioning to the show. She never knew that this decision would come to make a significant change in the show.
The "American Idol" judges Harry Conic, Jr. and Keith Urban have both voted for Nobilitte and are clearly rooting for her in the competition. Meanwhile, Jennifer Lopez has yet to express her stand with regards to the obviously gay contestant. Nobilitte is lucky compared to previous openly gay contestants who were told to remove all mentions of their sexual orientation like Jim Verraros of season 1, according to the Wikipedia.
"I'm very obviously gay, and there are always gonna be people in America and everywhere else who will definitely hate me. But I think that in the last two years there have been a lot of things that have really changed that, and have made it a positive thing," said Nobilitte as she was waiting for her fate in Hollywood Week, according to Entertainment Weekly.
This exciting development was viewed by other spectators of the show differently. Others were happy that the openly gay contestant made it to the show while some are questioning why is it only now that a person who is gay made it this far into the competition.
"The world is changing, I think," said Jennifer Lopez during the show. This is one testimony in how the world is starting to fully open its arms to the lesbian and gay community. The show will still be all about the singing prowess of the contestant and Nobilitte still needs to show her best when she is performing.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Update: Louise And Blake To Make Their First Appearance As A Couple In Australia
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2