'American Idol' Season 13: First Openly Gay Contestant Breaks Through the Top 30
By Maychelle Ornos | February 14, 2014 2:21 PM EST
A number of changes were made in the opening of season 13 of "American Idol" but among the interesting surprises in the show is how the first openly gay contestant made it to the Top 30. Thousands and thousands of golden tickets were already given and many of the gay contestants were not so open of their sexual orientation as soon as they entered the show, in which some speculated to be related to the show's rules.
This in indeed a milestone for "American Idol" and it speaks how viewers are more open with regards to gender differences. The 20-year-old M. K. Nobilette from San Francisco decided to give the show a try since it was her aunt's favorite show thinking that she hasn't got anything to lose auditioning to the show. She never knew that this decision would come to make a significant change in the show.
The "American Idol" judges Harry Conic, Jr. and Keith Urban have both voted for Nobilitte and are clearly rooting for her in the competition. Meanwhile, Jennifer Lopez has yet to express her stand with regards to the obviously gay contestant. Nobilitte is lucky compared to previous openly gay contestants who were told to remove all mentions of their sexual orientation like Jim Verraros of season 1, according to the Wikipedia.
"I'm very obviously gay, and there are always gonna be people in America and everywhere else who will definitely hate me. But I think that in the last two years there have been a lot of things that have really changed that, and have made it a positive thing," said Nobilitte as she was waiting for her fate in Hollywood Week, according to Entertainment Weekly.
This exciting development was viewed by other spectators of the show differently. Others were happy that the openly gay contestant made it to the show while some are questioning why is it only now that a person who is gay made it this far into the competition.
"The world is changing, I think," said Jennifer Lopez during the show. This is one testimony in how the world is starting to fully open its arms to the lesbian and gay community. The show will still be all about the singing prowess of the contestant and Nobilitte still needs to show her best when she is performing.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- 'Sylvester Stallone Dies In Horrible Car Accident’ Death Hoax Goes Viral
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoiler: Revelation Of Reason Why Penny, Leonard ‘Not’ Getting Married Soon
- 'The Bachelorette' Update: Andi Dorfman And Josh Murray To Setup Career In Hollywood- Reports
- ‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers For Aug. 26, 2014: Past Mistakes, Betrayals And Confrontations In ‘B&B’ [WATCH VIDEO]
- Katy Perry's Date Riff Raff At MTV VMAs: Top 5 Things To Know About The Rapper
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown