Woman Convicted of Killing Pregnant Friend, Cutting Her Womb, Taking Baby & Claiming it as Her Own
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | February 14, 2014 1:24 PM EST
Julie Corey murdered her 8-month-old pregnant friend Darlene Haynes, 23. The 39-year-old woman sobbed while she was convicted of her crime. She is expected to be sentenced at Worcester Superior Court in Massachusetts the following week.
Ms Haynes' body was discovered in one of the closets of her apartment. It was July 27, 2009. Her head was beaten while she was strangled with the help of an electrical cord. Her stomach was cut open and the baby was in her womb no more. After a couple of days, Ms Corey was found with the baby - also accompanied by her boyfriend Alex Dion. They were at a homeless shelter situated in New Hampshire.
Ms Corey continued to claim that she had had nothing to do with the murder of her friend despite the fact that the baby was found with her. Mr Dion later testified that Ms Corey had called him on July 23 to inform that she was going to give Ms Haynes a ride. Later, she called him and informed him that her water had been broken. During those days, Mr Dion had the conviction that Ms Corey was still pregnant.
Ms Corey informed him that one of her friends was taking her to hospital. Within two hours, Mr Dion was given the news by Ms Corey that they had a baby. Next morning, when she met him with the baby, he believed that it was their baby that was even introduced to the family. Mr Dion may have realised by now that things were pretty different from what he was told about. Ms Corey did not testify at court.
The jury started the deliberation process on Monday at 1:20 pm. A question was sent to the judge on Wednesday. The jury asked if Ms Corey had to be the person who had actually killed Ms Haynes. It asked if she would still be found guilty if someone else killed Ms Haynes and gave the baby to Ms Corey. Ms Corey's lawyers insisted that it was Ms Haynes boyfriend who committed the murder and gave the baby to Ms Corey.
The baby girl, aged 4 now, is presently living with her biological father.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Parents of Australian Passenger Want ‘Space Scientists’ to Investigate Crash; Believe in ‘Possibility’ of Survival -- Report
- Childhood Obesity is Strongly Linked With Early Puberty: Study Reveals
- Why Internet of Things is the Next Big Thing for Tech Giants like Samsung, Google and Apple
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Megan Fox's Weight Loss Aided by Low Carb Paleo Diet: Benefits of the Diet