Woman Convicted of Killing Pregnant Friend, Cutting Her Womb, Taking Baby & Claiming it as Her Own
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | February 14, 2014 1:24 PM EST
Julie Corey murdered her 8-month-old pregnant friend Darlene Haynes, 23. The 39-year-old woman sobbed while she was convicted of her crime. She is expected to be sentenced at Worcester Superior Court in Massachusetts the following week.
Ms Haynes' body was discovered in one of the closets of her apartment. It was July 27, 2009. Her head was beaten while she was strangled with the help of an electrical cord. Her stomach was cut open and the baby was in her womb no more. After a couple of days, Ms Corey was found with the baby - also accompanied by her boyfriend Alex Dion. They were at a homeless shelter situated in New Hampshire.
Ms Corey continued to claim that she had had nothing to do with the murder of her friend despite the fact that the baby was found with her. Mr Dion later testified that Ms Corey had called him on July 23 to inform that she was going to give Ms Haynes a ride. Later, she called him and informed him that her water had been broken. During those days, Mr Dion had the conviction that Ms Corey was still pregnant.
Ms Corey informed him that one of her friends was taking her to hospital. Within two hours, Mr Dion was given the news by Ms Corey that they had a baby. Next morning, when she met him with the baby, he believed that it was their baby that was even introduced to the family. Mr Dion may have realised by now that things were pretty different from what he was told about. Ms Corey did not testify at court.
The jury started the deliberation process on Monday at 1:20 pm. A question was sent to the judge on Wednesday. The jury asked if Ms Corey had to be the person who had actually killed Ms Haynes. It asked if she would still be found guilty if someone else killed Ms Haynes and gave the baby to Ms Corey. Ms Corey's lawyers insisted that it was Ms Haynes boyfriend who committed the murder and gave the baby to Ms Corey.
The baby girl, aged 4 now, is presently living with her biological father.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation