Woman Convicted of Killing Pregnant Friend, Cutting Her Womb, Taking Baby & Claiming it as Her Own
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | February 14, 2014 1:24 PM EST
Julie Corey murdered her 8-month-old pregnant friend Darlene Haynes, 23. The 39-year-old woman sobbed while she was convicted of her crime. She is expected to be sentenced at Worcester Superior Court in Massachusetts the following week.
Ms Haynes' body was discovered in one of the closets of her apartment. It was July 27, 2009. Her head was beaten while she was strangled with the help of an electrical cord. Her stomach was cut open and the baby was in her womb no more. After a couple of days, Ms Corey was found with the baby - also accompanied by her boyfriend Alex Dion. They were at a homeless shelter situated in New Hampshire.
Ms Corey continued to claim that she had had nothing to do with the murder of her friend despite the fact that the baby was found with her. Mr Dion later testified that Ms Corey had called him on July 23 to inform that she was going to give Ms Haynes a ride. Later, she called him and informed him that her water had been broken. During those days, Mr Dion had the conviction that Ms Corey was still pregnant.
Ms Corey informed him that one of her friends was taking her to hospital. Within two hours, Mr Dion was given the news by Ms Corey that they had a baby. Next morning, when she met him with the baby, he believed that it was their baby that was even introduced to the family. Mr Dion may have realised by now that things were pretty different from what he was told about. Ms Corey did not testify at court.
The jury started the deliberation process on Monday at 1:20 pm. A question was sent to the judge on Wednesday. The jury asked if Ms Corey had to be the person who had actually killed Ms Haynes. It asked if she would still be found guilty if someone else killed Ms Haynes and gave the baby to Ms Corey. Ms Corey's lawyers insisted that it was Ms Haynes boyfriend who committed the murder and gave the baby to Ms Corey.
The baby girl, aged 4 now, is presently living with her biological father.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Woman Accuses Labor Leader of 1986 Rape When She was 16; Shorten Admits Being Probed But Says He Was Cleared
- Sydney Fashion Designer Jodhi Meares’ Driver License Suspended for Drunk-Driving
- Intelligence Agencies Hunt for James Foley Beheader Using Voice Recognition Technology, Journalist Was Warned by GlobalPost Editor Not to Go to Libya
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao KOs Philippine Taxman as Supreme Court Stops Agency from Requiring P4.2 Billion Surety Bond from Champ
- British PM David Cameron Cuts Short Summer Holiday to Lead Hunt for Foley Beheader; Abbott Calls Decapitation ‘Pure Evil’
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Update: 4 Feature Upgrades That Really Matter